Current Board

Co-President: Sheela Ranganathan

Hi! My name is Sheela and I am Co-President of APALSA this year. I’m from Tampa, FL and majored in healthcare management and policy at Georgetown University. I’m also a Dean’s Fellow (go Martinez!) and have spent a lot of my time on campus thinking through how to make the law school a more inclusive place for diverse first year students.

Last year, aside from serving as VP of APALSA, I also helped to co-found Law Students for Black Lives and worked with the Rapoport Center as a Human Rights Scholar. Outside of school, I love playing tennis with friends, working out at a CrossFit gym, and spending time with my dog. Please reach out if you have questions or want to make a new friend!

Co-President: Sahil Solankee

I’m a 2L and am the APALSA Co-President for next year. Having grown up in Austin, I like the power of being able to say “I ate at this place when it was just a food truck.” I went to Rice University for undergrad and worked in DC before starting law school. I spend most of my free time watching movies/TV, reading sentimental novels about the immigrant experience, and debating the morality of bootlegs of Broadway musicals on Youtube before ultimately watching those too.

Co-Vice President: Melita Chan

Hi! I’m Melita, and I’ll be your APALSA Co-VP for 2021-22. I am a native of San Francisco and my family hails from Hong Kong. I am currently trying to maintain and improve my Cantonese fluency, so if you speak or know any Cantonese speakers/learners in Austin, please hit me up. I enjoy cooking, especially home-style Chinese classics since I can practice reading recipes in Chinese. Two birds with one stone. I also enjoy board gaming, so I maintain a curated collection of board games both in Austin and at home in San Francisco. My favorite games include Dominion, MetroX, Dead of Winter, and Castles of Mad King Ludwig. I look forward to working with you all next year!

Co-Vice President: Sharanya Sriram

Hi! I’m Sharanya, one of the Co-Vice Presidents of APALSA this year. I’m from San Jose, California, where I spent the last three years working in the tech industry. Before that, I majored in foreign service at Georgetown University. In addition to APALSA, I am a Society Coordinator for the 21-22 school year, so please reach out to me with any questions about the law school experience (especially in a pandemic)!
Outside of school, I enjoy hiking, practicing yoga, watching an unhealthy amount of sitcoms, and exploring Austin’s vegetarian food scene. I’m super excited to be serving the APALSA community next year, and I look forward to meeting everyone soon!

Secretary: Umul Lalee

Hi everyone! My name is Umul Lalee and I am a rising 2L from Dallas, TX. I am very excited to be the new Secretary for APALSA and am looking forward to finally meeting everyone in person! I was born in Afghanistan and briefly lived in Pakistan before my family came to Texas. I grew up in Dallas and got my B.A. in Political Science from the University of Texas at Dallas. 

Some of my hobbies include hiking, biking, and basically anything outdoors! So, as you can imagine, I have loved exploring Austin this past year. I also love getting to meet new people so reach out if you want to grab dinner, bike/hike, or just want to talk over zoom! 

Treasurer: Rohan Shetty

Hi there! My name is Rohan Shetty and I’m a rising 3L from Plano, Texas. Most days, you can find me strolling around Hyde Park (boy, it’s a beauty), hitting up the T (yes, that’s short for Tarlton), or munching on sweet things (the favorite? Oreos). Before law school, I spent some time in D.C., where my daily jogs to the Lincoln Memorial burned enough calories to make up for my current carb-heavy diet. I hope to use my law degree in the public interest sphere and have explored the worlds of appellate and impact litigation, legal aid, and criminal defense. I’m excited to strengthen APALSA’s presence and community on campus—and am grateful to contribute to such a terrific board.

Outreach Coordinator: Adarsh Parthasarathy

Hi everyone! My name is Adarsh (c/o 2023) and I’m APALSA’s Outreach Coordinator. I graduated from the University of California San Diego with degrees in Political Science and History, and am originally from the Bay Area in California. I’m super involved in pro bono and to date have participated in every project (except the DACA project, Saturdays are difficult for me) at least once! It’s pretty much my entire existence outside of class. If, God willing, we are in person for 21-22, you will find me on campus in the library and off campus at bars making up for lost time. And in a worrying number of leadership positions, because apparently I like to run for things unopposed.

Banquet Chari: Roshni Mahendru

Hello! My name is Roshni and I am the Banquet Chair this year. I’m from Austin and graduated from UT with a Government degree. I’ve always known I wanted to go to law school and am leaning towards litigation work. Since I am an Austinite, I have all the food recommendations you will ever need! During my free time, I love to bake, watch comedy, and connect with people (because I am an ESFP). I am so excited to plan social events for APALSA because it is where I immediately felt most welcome on campus.