If you’re a senior who plans to graduate Fall 2017, please be advised that there will be no sections of ANS 379, Capstone Seminar, offered during the fall of 2017. If you need the course to graduate, please sign up for it spring 2017 as there are three sections offered. There are plenty of seats still available in ANS 379, Cultural Memory/Classic Chinese Novels and ANS 379, Art of Autobiography in Japan.
An annual scholarship of $500 will be awarded to two undergraduate students at The University of Texas at Austin based on academic excellence and dedication to the study of India.
The following are the guidelines for application:
- To be eligible a student must have taken a minimum of nine semester credit hours in courses relating directly to India and/or a minimum of two semesters of an Indian language.
- Students must submit with the application an informal transcript of their undergraduate work and two letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with the applicant’s work in the area of Indian Studies.
Application deadline is March 1, 2017 and forms are available from the South Asia Institute, WCH 4.132 or download.
FLAS applications are now open for Annual Year 2017-2018 and Summer 2017 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships. Deadline for submission is Feb. 10, 2017. The highly competitive Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship is funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The fellowship assists meritorious graduate and undergraduate students undergoing intensive training in modern languages and related area or international studies.
For complete application instructions and the application form, go to https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/southasia/FLAS%20Fellowship/Applications.php
SAI offers academic year funding for the following languages: Bengali; Hindi; Malayalam; Persian (if it relates directly to the study of South Asia); Tamil; Urdu; Other approved contemporary South Asian languages.
UT Austin students from all fields of study, and from all departments, colleges, and schools are eligible to apply for FLAS funding, as long as the student:
- Is a citizen, or a national or permanent resident of the United States;
- Is in a program of study that combines modern foreign language training with an area or international studies emphasis or;
- Is engaged in research and training in the international aspects of professional and other fields of study related to the region of South Asia;
- Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training (please refer to the approved language list above);
- For Graduate Students:Is engaged in pre-dissertation study, preparation for dissertation research, or, in certain cases, dissertation research abroad, or dissertation writing;
- For Undergraduate Students:Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training at the intermediate or advanced level.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 @ 5:00 p.m.
Submit Application Materials: Hannah McKenna (email@example.com)
Questions: Dr. Jacqueline Toribio, UT-Austin MMUF Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Through the generous support of an Andrew W. Mellon Foundation grant, the Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship (MMUF) program announces its call for fellows at The University of Texas at Austin.
This doctoral preparatory program offers a concrete mentoring plan and financial support to rising sophomore and junior students who will pursue academic research in Mellon-approved fields. The fundamental objective of MMUF is to increase diversity amongst faculty in U.S. universities and colleges, as well demonstrate a commitment to eradicating social, educational and economic disparities. In its 25-year history, MMUF has been highly successful in placing hundreds of past fellows in tenure-track jobs (www.mmuf.org).
- Sophomore standing (at least 30 credits)
- GPA of 3.0 or better
- Plan to pursue a doctoral degree in one of the Mellon-approved fields of study (see below)
- A completed application, including a statement of intent to pursue a doctoral degree, three strong letters of recommendation from faculty, transcripts, and resume
An interdisciplinary committee of faculty members reviews student applications and conducts admissions interviews. Students receive a summer stipend to enroll in a year-round 1-unit course to conduct faculty-mentored academic research and to engage in graduate school professionalization. Fellowships begin in the summer of 2015, and are awarded each fall and spring semester until graduation. Approximately five fellows are selected every year. Awards are for two years (contingent upon adequate levels of participation).
Mellon-Approved Fields of Study
Anthropology and Archaeology; Area/Cultural/Ethnic/Gender Studies; Art History; Classics; Geography and Population Studies; English; Film, Cinema and Media Studies (theoretical focus); Musicology and Ethnomusicology; Foreign Languages and Literatures; History; Linguistics; Literature; Performance Studies (theoretical focus); Philosophy and Political Theory; Religion and Theology; Sociology; Theater (theoretical focus)
More information: http://www.mmuf.org/about/eligible-fields-study
Liberal Arts Career Services – helping liberal arts students go “Beyond the Tower!”
To apply for these opportunities or learn more about these events, check out your BTT Gateway account. Don’t have an account? Register with LACS to access opportunities and to learn about our events, services and resources.
BARCLAYS – Barclays is an international financial services provider engaged in personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management with an extensive presence in Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia. There are three jobs expiring today, 12/1, in BTT Gateway for Barclays, Jobs 12080, 12081, 12082!
INDEED.COM JOBS & INTERNSHIPS
You have access to thousands of job and internship postings in the Indeed.com system. To access the system, login to your BTT Gateway account > search for jobs/internships (or leave the search criteria empty to view all opportunities) > click on the Indeed.com tab.
BTTG APPLICATION DEADLINES for the week of December 1
Explore BTT Gateway for details and to apply. If in the list below you see a JOB ID, search the BTT Gateway [Jobs/Internships] tab; if you see a SCHEDULE ID, search the [Interview Schedules/Qualified Schedules] tab. The following are just a sample of the many jobs and internships you will find in BTT Gateway.
- 12/1 – Barclays, Compliance Summer Analyst, BTT Gateway Job ID 12080
- 12/1 – Barclays, Corporate Banking Summer Analyst, BTT Gateway Job ID 12081
- 12/1 – Barclays, Finance Summer Analyst, BTT Gateway Job ID 12082
- 12/1 – Strive Logistics, Sales Development Program, BTT Gateway Job ID 11929
- 12/1 – Charles Schwab & Co., Broker Trainee Program, BTT Gateway Job ID 12278
- 12/1 – CDW, Account Manager – Inside Sales – Entry Level – Dec 2016 and Summer 2017 grads, Chicago, IL, BTT Gateway Job ID 12397
- 12/1 – CDW, Account Manager – Inside Sales – Entry Level – Dec 2016 and Summer 2017 grads, Dallas, Tx, BTT Gateway Job ID 12398
- 12/1 – Black & Veatch Corporation, General Business Consultant, BTT Gateway Job ID 12416
- 12/1 – Wells Fargo, Veteran Employment Transition Program & Hiring Forums Internship, BTT Gateway Job ID 12459
- 12/2 – Liberty Mutual Insurance, Analyst Development Program – Personal Insurance – Seattle, WA, BTT Gateway Job ID 12140
- 12/2 – Liberty Mutual Internship, Analyst Development Program Internship – Personal Insurance – Seattle, WA, BTT Gateway Job ID 12139
- 12/2 – InfoTrellis, HR and Office Administrator, BTT Gateway Job ID 12458
- 12/4 – Goldman Sachs, 2017 Summer and Full-Time Analyst Program (Internship), BTT Gateway Job ID 12074
- 12/4 – Goldman Sachs, New Analyst Program, BTT Gateway Job ID 12075
- 12/5 – House Research Organization, Session Researcher/Writer, BTT Gateway Job ID 12390
- 12/7 – Collabera Inc., Associate Account Manager, BTT Gateway Job ID 12143
HIREUTEXAS JOB & INTERNSHIP POSTINGS
HireUTexas, UT’s job board, currently has 78 jobs and internships posted since November 24. Access HireUTexas here to explore these opportunities and for job descriptions and application details. Attached is an overview of the most recently posted jobs and internships.
LACS RESUME POLICY
The first resume you upload to BTT Gateway will be reviewed by a member of LACS for grammar, format, marketing and relevance to help you highlight your experience in a professional format. Please allow up to two business days for the review process, during which you will not be able to submit the resume for jobs or internships in BTT Gateway. If your resume is not approved, we will provide feedback to help you craft a stronger resume. Once your first resume is approved, all subsequent resume uploads will be automatically approved and you will have immediate access to the resume for BTT Gateway applications. Due to the review process, we recommend you upload your resume well in advance of any upcoming deadlines.
Review the LACS Resume Guidelines to learn the criteria for resume approval.
I want to remind any first generation in college students with less than 60 hours to apply for the STUDY ABROAD FIRST ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP.
This scholarship supports student planning to study abroad beginning fall 2017 and beyond. Note, the scholarship is not for the Maymester or summer 2017.
Students can find information about the scholarship on the campus’ comprehensive study abroad scholarship website:
GLOBAL ASSIST: http://utdirect.utexas.edu/student/abroad/globalassist.WBX
The deadline for applications is December 15.
Many of you have already heard, but for those who have not, I wanted to let everyone know that I will be retiring from the University of Texas at Austin at the end of December, 2016. My last day is (most likely) Dec. 22nd, so still plenty of time to stop by to see me. I would especially encourage students whose study abroad work is in the process of being evaluated and posted to make an appointment. Study abroad equivalencies can be complicated (especially those from Japan), and I’d like to help you figure those out before I go.
The Dean’s Office will be having a retirement party for me and another advising college (Anna Tapsak in Psychology) on Dec. 16th – not yet sure of the time and place, but I’ll let you all know once I get the details. I realize many of you will already be gone by that point, but if you’re around, I’d love to see you there.
From Thuy Nguyen, study abroad advisor for Asia:
This is a reminder that we will be having an info session for the Korea University Summer 2017 Exchange Program this Wednesday from 4-5 in PAR 210. Students who attend this info session will automatically be authorized to start the application and will not have to meet with me individually to gain access to the MySAO application.
If students are unable to make this session, we will have more in the spring semester as well (dates/times still TBD).
Dr. Camilla Hsieh shared with me this information about finding jobs teaching in China/Taiwan; the first two are general resources and the second two are specific schools. Some schools (Shane School) require a TEFOL certificate while others don’t (Hess School), but either way, it’s a good idea to get some kind of teacher training before applying for a job.
How to get jobs teaching English in Taiwan or China (and elsewhere):
- Fulbright undergraduate Fellowship: teaching English
- Reach to Teach (recruiting service): www.reachtoteachrecruiting.com
- Shane School (Requires Certificate of Teaching English as a Second Language: http://shaneschools.com/en/
4. Hess (Does not require Certificate of Teaching English as a Second Language): http://www.hesseducation.com/
The Taiwanese Students Association invites you to the screening of Director Wei Te-Sheng’s film,
52Hz, I Love You.
Movie Screening will be on Wednesday, November 16, 2016
Venue: UT Student Activity Center Auditorium 1.402
6:30 – 7:00 Admission
7:00 – 8:50 Movie Screening
8:50 – 9:40 Q&A (Actor / Actress)
9:40 – 10:00 Autograph Session