Your Advisor is Retiring at the End of December

Many of you have already heard, but for those who have not, I wanted to let everyone know that I will be retiring from the University of Texas at Austin at the end of December, 2016. My last day is (most likely) Dec. 22nd, so still plenty of time to stop by to see me. I would especially encourage students whose study abroad work is in the process of being evaluated and posted to make an appointment. Study abroad equivalencies can be complicated (especially those from Japan), and I’d like to help you figure those out before I go.

The Dean’s Office will be having a retirement party for me and another advising college (Anna Tapsak in Psychology) on Dec. 16th – not yet sure of the time and place, but I’ll let you all know once I get the details. I realize many of you will already be gone by that point, but if you’re around, I’d love to see you there.


Korea University Summer Exchange Info Session

From Thuy Nguyen, study abroad advisor for Asia:

This is a reminder that we will be having an info session for the Korea University Summer 2017 Exchange Program this Wednesday from 4-5 in PAR 210. Students who attend this info session will automatically be authorized to start the application and will not have to meet with me individually to gain access to the MySAO application.

If students are unable to make this session, we will have more in the spring semester as well (dates/times still TBD).

Teaching English in China or Taiwan

Dr. Camilla Hsieh shared with me this information about finding jobs teaching in China/Taiwan; the first two are general resources and the second two are specific schools. Some schools (Shane School) require a TEFOL certificate while others don’t (Hess School), but either way, it’s a good idea to get some kind of teacher training before applying for a job.

How to get jobs teaching English in Taiwan or China (and elsewhere):

  1. Fulbright undergraduate Fellowship: teaching English
  1. Reach to Teach (recruiting service):
  1. Shane School (Requires Certificate of Teaching English as a Second Language:

4.  Hess (Does not require Certificate of Teaching English as a Second Language):