Email: [lastname] @ utexas.edu
Ph.D. 2013, Stanford University, Institute for Computational and Mathematical Engineering
S.B. 2007, MIT, Chemical Engineering
S.B. 2007, MIT, Mathematics
I use parallel multi-processor computer simulations to answer questions about the physics of fluid flow at the micro and nano scale. I am excited to be using the resources of the Texas Advanced Computing Center to solve problems in nanomanufacturing and biomechanics. My projects are
- High-performance simulations of photoresist droplet spreading in Roll-to-Roll nanoimprint lithography
- Computational biophysics of cells in confined spaces
- Effect of red blood cell hematocrit on plateled adhesion
- Vesicle instabilities in extensional flows
- COMAP Mathematical Contest in Modeling — Outstanding Paper 2005, 2006, and 2007. Highest tier rating given to top 10 papers internationally. Additional named prizes: 2004 Ben Fusaro Award, 2006 INFORMS Award, 2007 SIAM Award. Team of 3. SIAM News article.
- Stanford Institute for Computational and Mathematical Engineering Student Leadership Award. 2009. Awarded for mentorship as I introduced the COMAP Mathematical Contest in Modeling to Stanford undergraduates.
- Microsoft College Puzzle Challenge — Top 10 national ranking in 2005 (2nd), 2006 (3rd), 2008 (6th), 2010 (7th), and 2012 (3rd). Team of 4.
- MIT Mobile Autonomous Systems Laboratory (MASLAB) robotics contest} — 1st place 2005. Team of 4.
- Spann, A., Campbell, J., Fitzgibbon, S., Rodriguez, A., Blackbourne L., Cap A., & Shaqfeh, E.S.G. “The effect of hematocrit on platelet adhesion: experiments and simulations.” Biophysical Journal 111 (2016), 577–588.
- Narsimhan, V.*, Spann, A.*, & Shaqfeh, E.S.G. “Pearling, wrinkling, and buckling of vesicles in elongational flows.” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 777 (2015): 1–26. *Authors share first authorship.
- Fitzgibbon, S., Spann, A., Qi, Q., & Shaqfeh, E.S.G. “In vitro measurement of particle margination in the micro-channel flow of blood: effect of varying hematocrit.” Biophysical Journal 108 (2015), 2601–2608.
- Narsimhan, V., Spann, A.P., & Shaqfeh, E.S.G. “The mechanism of shape instability for a vesicle in extensional flow.” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 750 (2014): 144–190. Highlighted by P.M. Vlahovska as the subject of Journal of Fluid Mechanics Focus on Fluids Sept 2014.
- Spann, A.P., Zhao, H., & Shaqfeh, E.S.G. “Loop subdivision surface boundary integral method simulations of vesicles at low reduced volume ratio in shear and extensional flow.” Physics of Fluids 26 (2014): 031902.
- Zhao, H., Spann, A.P., & Shaqfeh, E.S.G. “The dynamics of a vesicle in a wall-bound shear flow.” Physics of Fluids 23 (2011): 121901.
- McCue, J. T., Cecchini, D., Chu, C., Liu, W. H., & Spann, A. “Application of a two-dimensional model for predicting the pressure-flow and compression properties during column packing scale-up.” Journal of Chromatography A 1145 (2007): 89–101.
- Spann, A., Kane, D., & Gulotta, D. “Electoral redistricting with moment of inertia and diminishing halves models.” UMAP Journal 28 (2007): 281–299.
- Gulotta, D., Kane, D., & Spann, A. “Application of min-cost flow to airline accessibility services.” UMAP Journal 27 (2006): 367–385.
- Spann, A., Kane, D., & Gulotta, D. “Lane changes and close following: troublesome tollbooth traffic.” UMAP Journal 26 (2005): 317–330.
- Cul, Y., Spann, A. P., Couch, L. H., Gopee, N. V., Evans, F. E., Churchwell, M. I., Williams, L.D., Doerge, D.R., & Howard, P. C. “Photodecomposition of Pigment Yellow 74, a pigment used in tattoo inks.” Photochemistry and Photobiology 80 (2004): 175–184.