CCAPS was a five-year project, $7.6 million project for the Pentagon under its Minerva Initiative. I was one of the leading investigators associated with the project. Here are some of the written products I contributed to.
“Climate Security Vulnerability in Africa Mapping 3.0” with Todd G. Smith and Nisha Krishnan. Political Geography.
“One Effect to Rule Them All? A Comment on Climate and Conflict.” with Halvard Buhaug et al. Climatic Change.
“The Political Geography of Climate Vulnerability, Conflict and Aid in Africa” with Clionadh Raleigh and Idean Salehyan, in Peace and Conflict 2014, edited by Paul K. Huth, Jonathan Wilkenfeld, and David A. Backer, Paradigm Publishers.
– “Identifying hot spots of security vulnerability associated with climate change in Africa” with Kerry Cook, Edward Vizy, Todd G. Smith, and Mesfin Bekalo. Climatic Change.
– “The Sources of Climate Insecurity: Mapping Vulnerability in Africa” with Todd G. Smith, Kaiba White, and Shawn M. Strange. International Security.
– “Locating Climate Insecurity: Where are the Most Vulnerable Places in Africa?” with Todd G. Smith, Kaiba White, and Shawn M. Strange. To appear in Climate Change, Human Security and Violent Conflict, Jurgen Scheffran et al. editors. Springer.
– “Of Climate Change and Crystal Balls: The Future Consequences of Climate Change in Africa” with Jay Gulledge, Todd G. Smith, and Kaiba White. Air and Space Power Journal Africa and Francophonie.
– “Climate Security and East Africa: A GIS-Based Analysis of Vulnerability” with Todd G. Smith and Kaiba White in Climate Change, Pastoral Traditional Coping Mechanisms and Conflict in the Horn of Africa, Mulugeta Gebre Hiwot and Jean-Bosco Butera editors, UPeace, Addis Ababa,
Final Project Report
– Climate, Conflict, and Governance in Africa: Pinpointing Risks and Opportunities – Final Program Report: 2009-2016
– Climate Change and National Security
– Mapping and Modeling Climate Security Vulnerability: Workshop Report (with Jennifer Hazen)
Student Working Papers
– Vulnerability to Climate Change in West Africa, Student Working Paper (editor)
– Water Resource Stress and Food Insecurity in Southern Africa, Student Working Paper (editor)