– AIDS Drugs for All: Social Movements and Market Transformations, Cambridge University Press. 2013
– Moral Movements and Foreign Policy, Cambridge University Press. 2010
Articles and Book Chapters
“Do What You Say or Else: Shaming and Taming in International Politics,” with Kelly Greenhill, Under Review.
“Multilateralism and the Use of Force: Experimental Evidence on the Views of U.S. Foreign Policy Elites” with Jonathan Monten, Jordan Tama, and Craig Kafura. Under Review.
“In Harm’s Way: Climate Security Vulnerability in Asia” with Todd G. Smith, Nisha Krishnan, Charles Wight, and Santiago Vallejo-Gutierrez, Revise and Resubmit.
“Has Liberal Internationalism Been Trumped?” with Jonathan Montent, to appear in an edited volume, Chaos in the Liberal Order: The Trump Presidency and International Politics in the Twenty-First Century, edited by Robert Jervis, Francis J. Gavin, Joshua Rovner, and Diane Labrosse, forthcoming.
“Foreign Policy Beliefs Among Leaders and the Public,” with Dina Smeltz, Craig Kafura, Jonathan Monten and Jordan Tama (3rd author) to appear in an edited volume, The Domestic Sources of Foreign Policy, edited by James McCormick, Rowman and Littlefield, forthcoming.
“Environmental Security” Oxford Handbook of International Security, Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
“Turning the Carbon Supertanker: Sectoral Feasibility of Climate Change Mitigation in China” with Xue Gao and Sarang Shidore, Energy Research and Social Science. 2018
“International Organization and Environmental Governance.” Oxford: ISA Compendium Project. 2017
“Social Media and the Scholar in an Era of Hyper-Nationalism and Fake News,” PS. 2017
“When Decarbonization Meets Development: The Sectoral Feasibility of Greenhouse Gas Mitigation in India” with Sarang Shidore, Energy Research and Social Science. 2017
“Framing Global Health as Human Rights: Learning from the Case of HIV/AIDS,” with Ethan Kapstein, Global Health Governance. 2016
“Climate Change and U.S. National Security: Sustaining Security Amidst Unsustainability,” chapter in an edited volume Sustainable Security: Rethinking American National Security Strategy, edited by Jeremi Suri and Benjamin Valentino, Oxford University Press. 2016
Special issue on the Ebola Crisis, Global Health Governance, co-editor with Karen Grépin and Jeremy Youde. 2016
“Social Movements and Market Transformations: Lessons from HIV/AIDS and Climate Change” with Ethan Kapstein, International Studies Quarterly. 2016
“A Green Giant? Inconsistency and American Environmental Diplomacy,” chapter in an edited volume The United States, China, and World Order, John Ikenberry, Zhu Feng, and Wang Jisi, Palgrave. 2015
“Ain’t That a Shame? Hypocrisy, Punishment and Weak Actor Influence in International Politics” with Kelly Greenhill, chapter in an edited volume Name, Shame and Sanction: The Politics of Leverage in International Relations, edited by Richard Friman, Palgrave. 2015
“Hearts or Minds? Identifying Persuasive Message on Climate Change” with Bethany Albertson. Research and Politics. 2015
“Climate Security Vulnerability in Africa Mapping 3.0” with Todd G. Smith and Nisha Krishnan. Political Geography. 2014
“One Effect to Rule Them All? A Comment on Climate and Conflict.” with Halvard Buhaug et al. Climatic Change. 2014
“The Political Geography of Climate Vulnerability, Conflict and Aid in Africa” with Clionadh Raleigh and Idean Salehyan, in Peace and Conflict 2014, edited by Paul K. Huth, Jonathan Wilkenfeld, and David A. Backer, Paradigm Publishers. 2014
– “Identifying hot spots of security vulnerability associated with climate change in Africa” with Kerry Cook, Edward Vizy, Todd G. Smith, and Mesfin Bekalo. Climatic Change. 2014
– “The Sources of Climate Insecurity: Mapping Vulnerability in Africa” with Todd G. Smith, Kaiba White, and Shawn M. Strange. International Security. 2013
– “Vaunted Hopes: Climate Change and the Unlikely Nuclear Renaissance” in The Nuclear Renaissance and International Security, Adam Stulberg and Matthew Fuhrmann, editors. Stanford University Press. 2013
– “Republican Elites and Foreign Policy Attitudes” with Jon Monten. Political Science Quarterly. 2012
– “Locating Climate Insecurity: Where are the Most Vulnerable Places in Africa?” with Todd G. Smith, Kaiba White, and Shawn M. Strange in Climate Change, Human Security and Violent Conflict, Jurgen Scheffran et al. editors. Springer. 2012
– “Of Climate Change and Crystal Balls: The Future Consequences of Climate Change in Africa” with Jay Gulledge, Todd G. Smith, and Kaiba White. Air and Space Power Journal Africa and Francophonie. 2012
– “Climate Security and East Africa: A GIS-Based Analysis of Vulnerability” with Todd G. Smith and Kaiba White in Climate Change, Pastoral Traditional Coping Mechanisms and Conflict in the Horn of Africa, Mulugeta Gebre Hiwot and Jean-Bosco Butera editors, UPeace, Addis Ababa. 2012
– “Making Markets for Merit Goods: The Political Economy of Antiretrovirals” with Ethan Kapstein. Global Policy. 2010
– “International Organization and Environmental Governance.” Blackwell: ISA Compendium Project. 2010
– Who Cares about the Weather? Climate Change and U.S. National Security.” Security Studies. 2008
– “Without Heirs? Assessing the Decline of Establishment Internationalism in U.S. Foreign Policy” with Jonathan Monten. Perspectives on Politics. 2008
– “The Hardest Problem in the World: Leadership in the Climate Regime,” in edited, Cooperating with America: Explaining contemporary international leadership and cooperation, Stefan Brem and Kendall Stiles, editors. 2008
– “Bono Made Jesse Helms Cry: Jubilee 2000, Debt Relief, and Moral Action in International Politics.” International Studies Quarterly. Volume 51, Number 2, June. 2007
– “Climate Change and Collective Action: Troubles in the Transition to a Post-Oil Economy.” St. Antony’s International Review. Volume 2, Number 1, May 2006. Revised reprint appeared in an edited volume, Velma Grover editor. 2006
– “Much Ado About Something? Regime change in Cuba” with Eusebio Mujal-León. Problems of Post-Communism. November-December 2001: 6-18. Also appeared in Cuban Communism, 11th Edition, eds. Irving Horowitz and Jaime Suchlicki. Somerset, NJ: Transaction Publishers, 2003. Also appeared in Spanish in Encuentro. Invierno 2001-2002: 105-124. Also 2004 in La transiciòn invisible. Sociedad y cambio político en Cuba, eds. Velia Cecilia Bobes y Rafael Rojas. 2001