In some cases you won’t have a whole lot of control over your the URL address of the pages you create. The Content Management System will simply append the title of the page to the root of the address.
- Many of the same rules apply to computer file names of items like images and documents that you upload.
- Be unique
- Use alpha-numeric characters – US-ASCII characters (universally displayable, unaccented characters)
- Use dash to delimit elements
- Have no punctuation or special characters like: ! # $ % & ‘ @ ^ ` ~ + , . ; = ) ( \ / : * ? “ < > | [ ]
- Have no spaces
- Only use lower case
- Readable by humans
- Keywords Never Hurt
- Follow the menu path
- If the page is already live, it is not recommended to change the URL.
For more complex scenarios visit 15 SEO Best Practices for Structuring URLs