All websites including registered student organization’s sites must comply with university policies and requirements.
The COFA Web team supports, maintains and manages the technology for sponsored college and department websites. The chair or director must approve the Web initiative and public relations staff within the college or department must provide support and facilitation. More about Web initiatives that qualify for COFA Web team support.
The COFA Web team is not resourced to assist student organizations with websites. Students can use many of the services listed below, promote on HornsLink and contact the Office of the Dean of Students for additional resources.
Technology Available for Web Content Creation on Campus
Do it yourself with Web publishing options on UT Web are provided by the university, including a Drupal Service Program that is improving Drupal support and options on campus. University services are more secure and stable than externally provided web services and the university staff can assist you. Hosting your website outside of the university is not recommended. If funding is available you could hire a contractor. Please contact us for guidance.
University Web Services
The university provides many tools that can help you get your content online.
- The University of Texas Blog Service, a university managed version of WordPress.
- UT Digital Repository is an online library. Scholarly and research work is easily accessed online through a persistent web address.
- Share and store images with the Digital Asset Management System (DAMS) (or Portfolio) service.
- Faculty can use the Canvas Learning Management System.
- University Wikis can look like a normal website and be set to allow anonymous visitors access without logging in.
External Web or Cloud Services
Options to provide content online hosted by third party vendors store data on servers outside of university control. Read the Information Security Office’s Cloud Services guide on the risks of data mining, advertising, security, privacy and reliability before utilizing these services.
Approved External Web or Cloud Services
Three external Web services being utilized for some of our college Web content needs have been approved by the Information Security Office:
- UTBox for online document sharing ,
- Qualtrics to create online surveys and forms, and
- Google Drive and Google Sites associated with UTmail accounts to host webpages. The Office of Instructional Innovation has a tutorial on creating a Google Site.
Note that SquareSpace has not been approved for university content.
Social networks, like Facebook make it easy to share your message. They are external cloud services and reserve a number of rights so it is important to always read the terms of service. By using them, you may be assigning rights you don’t own. Learn about some of the social networks in the College.
Contact the public affairs staff in your department or the COFA Web team, email@example.com for more information