All websites, including registered student organization’s sites, must comply with university policies and requirements.
COFA Web Team Supported Websites
We are happy to be a resource for anyone associated with the college that has Web related questions however we are only resourced maintain and manage Web technology for sponsored/official college and department websites. To become a sponsored website, the chair or director must approve the Web initiative and public relations staff within the college or department must provide support and facilitation. Start by answering these questions then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The COFA Web team is not resourced to assist student organizations with websites. Students can use many of the services listed below, promote on HornsLink and contact the Office of the Dean of Students for additional resources.
Staff or faculty maintaining and managing their own college/department sponsored websites please let us know if you are utilizing any of the below services or external provider for Web related services.
Technology Available for Web Content Creation
Below is a round-up of Web technology services on campus. The college Web team utilizes many of the below services and administers them for website we support. They are available campus-wide for varying purposes.
If funding is available you could hire a contractor. Please contact us for guidance.
University Web Services
The university provides many tools that can help you get your content online. University services are more secure and stable than externally provided web services and the university staff can assist you. Hosting your website outside of the university is not recommended.
- For a fee, UT QuickSites is a fully-managed web publishing service designed to allow non-technical users to build university-branded public-facing websites.
- The University of Texas Blog Service, a university managed version of WordPress. (If the site is an official college site, we will help. Please contact us for guidance.)
- UT Digital Repository is an online library. Scholarly and research work is easily accessed online through a persistent web address.
- Share and store images with the Digital Asset Management System (DAMS or Portfolio) service.
- Faculty can use the Canvas Learning Management System.
- University Wikis can look like a normal website and be set to allow anonymous visitors access without logging in.
- Webcasts and Streaming Media.
There are two do it yourself Web publishing option on-campus. For a fee you can use the CMS Hosting Platform (CHP) to build Drupal or WordPress websites. UT Web is free but is a much more complex interface with less reliable service. If you are a Drupal developer you may be interested in the Drupal Service Program and the UT Drupal Distribution.
If you’d like to utilize these services please contact us and we’ll help get you started.
External Web or Cloud Services
Options to provide content online hosted by third party vendors store data on servers outside of university control. Read the Information Security Office’s Cloud Services guide on the risks of data mining, advertising, security, privacy and reliability before utilizing these services.
Approved External Web or Cloud Services
Three external Web services being utilized for some of our college Web content have been approved by the Information Security Office:
- UTBox for online document sharing,
- Qualtrics to create online surveys and forms, and
- Google Drive and Google Sites associated with UTmail accounts to host webpages. The Office of Instructional Innovation has a tutorial on creating a Google Site.
Note that SquareSpace has not been approved for university content.
Social networks, like Facebook make it easy to share your message. They are external cloud services and reserve a number of rights so it is important to always read the terms of service. By using them, you may be assigning rights you don’t own. See a list of the social networks in the College.
Contact the public affairs staff in your department or the COFA Web team, email@example.com for more information.