Deadline for Applications: March 1, 2016
American Councils for International Education (ACTR) is now accepting applications for the 2016 Summer Russian Language Teachers Program. Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad, the program provides current and pre-service Russian instructors the unique opportunity to study Russian culture, language, and pedagogy at the Russian State Pedagogical (Herzen) University in downtown St. Petersburg, Russia for six weeks, from June 22 to August 8, 2016. The program begins with a mandatory pre-departure orientation in Washington, DC on June 22.
This year’s Fulbright-Hays Summer Teachers Program features:
- Intensive language classes conducted by leading Russian faculty in small groups geared toward individual proficiency levels and designed to strengthen essential speaking, reading, writing, and comprehension skills.
- A specially designed course to help participants develop a comprehensive portfolio of assignments, lesson plans, and exercises based on authentic materials gathered in Russia. Participants will introduce the newly developed portfolios into their classrooms upon returning to the U.S. and report on teaching outcomes.
- A series of seminars exploring key components of Russian culture and society to provide participants new insights into Russia’s past and present.
- Weekly cultural excursions and a multi-day trip to maximize participants’ exposure to key historical sights and provide additional opportunities to gather authentic teaching materials.
- Housing with Russian host families and meetings with Russian peer tutors to maximize linguistic and cultural immersion.
- Ongoing logistical support, guidance, and emergency assistance from a full-time resident director.
Fulbright-Hays fellowships cover the full cost of tuition, cultural programming, international airfare from Washington, DC, insurance, Russian visas, and housing. Fellowships also provide living and book stipends. Approximately 12 fellowships will be awarded.
To be eligible for Fulbright Hays funding, applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are:
- Elementary or secondary school teachers;
- Faculty members at higher education institutions;
- Administrators at state departments of education, higher education institutions, or school districts who plan, conduct, or supervise programs for students at all levels; or
- Graduate students or upperclassmen at colleges or universities studying to teach Russian.
Priority in funding awards will go to K-12 teachers and administrators, individuals who have not spent an extended period of time in Russia in the last three years, U.S. teachers who support fledgling Russian programs or are preparing to launch new programs, graduate students with a strong commitment to teaching, and non-native speakers of Russian.
Program applications are due February 15, 2016.
For more information or to begin an application, please visit our website at: http://www.acrussiaabroad.org/?action=program&prog=SRLTP
Please also feel free to contact the American Councils Outbound Department directly with any questions at 202-833-7522.
With very best wishes,
Director, Higher Education Programs Division
American Councils for International Education
1828 L Street N.W., Suite 1200
Washington, D.C. 20036
T (202) 833-7522
F (202) 833-7523