Deadline for Submissions: September 01, 2017
In 2014, the ASEEES Board of Directors voted to dedicate $10,000 per year from the Association’s endowment dividends for subvention of books by first-time authors who have already secured publishing contracts. Multiple awards of up to $2,500 will be made on a competitive basis each year, with funds paid directly to the press.
A multidisciplinary committee of senior scholars will evaluate applications; the committee will also include a publishing professional as a non-voting member who will advise on budgetary matters. In deciding how to allocate these funds, the committee takes into account both the scholarly significance of the book and the demonstrated need for subvention support. Applications are invited from all disciplines.
There are two annual deadlines for applications: February 1 and September 1.
- Authors must be regular or student members of ASEEES for the year of the application submission plus at least the immediately preceding year (affiliate or joint members are not eligible).
- Subventions will only be awarded for individually authored first books. (Multiple authored books are not eligible; an applicant who has already published an edited collection will not be disqualified.)
- Manuscripts must be in English and, in the view of the selection committee, make a substantial scholarly contribution to Slavic, East European, and/or Eurasian Studies. English translations of first books published initially in another language will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but will generally not receive highest priority.
- The Press must agree to acknowledge subvention support from ASEEES in the front matter of the book, and to provide ASEEES with a copy of the finished work upon publication. The acknowledgement to ASEEES should read as follows: “Publication of this book was made possible, in part, by a grant from the First Book Subvention Program of the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies.”
- The press must agree to submit a brief itemized report on how subvention funds were spent within two months of the book’s publication date.
- Applicants must actively seek funding from additional sources, including the author’s home institution; ASEEES prefers to split subvention costs with other institutions whenever possible.
- A press may submit no more than 2 applications per cycle (including resubmissions).
For more information and to apply click here.