Deadline for Applications: February 15, 2018
About the Eurasian Regional Language Program (ERLP)
The American Councils Eurasian Regional Language Program provides graduate students, advanced undergraduates, working professionals, and scholars intensive individualized instruction in the languages of Eurasia. Participants may choose to study one of 16 regional languages:
Armenian, Azeri, Bashkir, Buryat, Chechen, Dari, Farsi, Georgian, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Pashto, Romanian, Tatar, Ukrainian, Uzbek, or Yakut
PROGRAM DATES, Summer 2018
June 6 – August 9, 2018
- Expert university faculty with a unique understanding of U.S. students and American academic culture;
- Classrooms of only 1 to 5 participants to maximize individual attention to each learner’s needs;
- 15-20 hours per week of in-class target language instruction in grammar, conversation, culture and area studies;
- U.S. academic credit for coursework in the target language;
- Home-stay housing with carefully vetted host families;
- Conversation partners who assist U.S. students with language learning and help them find a niche in their host-country communities;
- Weekly cultural activities that go beyond typical tourist destinations and offer students new insights into the host country life and culture;
- Comprehensive pre-departure orientation as well as on-site orientation in each host city;
- An active and extensive alumni network that includes international business consultants, professional translators, area-studies experts, and journalists reporting from the region.
Program cost includes tuition, room and board, cultural activities, visa support, comprehensive overseas insurance, 24/7 emergency support, pre-departure orientation, and academic credit through Bryn Mawr College.
Students admitted to American Councils programs are eligible to receive financial support from a wide range of sources, including the U.S. Department of State (Title VIII), Boren, Gilman, FLAS, and the American Councils Study Abroad Scholarship Fund.
Additionally, American Councils is pleased to offer special funding from the U.S. Department of Education. The Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Fellowship of $4000 is available to overseas Persian language students in Dushanbe, Tajikistan during the Summer 2018 session. Please see the program website for more information.