Deadline: Open Until Filled
Friends School is a Quaker, co-educational, college preparatory school, Pre-K through Grade 12, in Baltimore City, enrolling 829 students, 32% of whom identify as children of color. We are guided by the Quaker ideals of simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality, and stewardship. We strive to be a purposefully inclusive community that reflects the racial, ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic, and religious diversity of our city and our region.
Educators at Friends are expected to model and foster the habits of mind we believe are essential to an outstanding education: creativity, curiosity, empathy, reflection, and resilience. We seek educators whose teaching styles and experiences demonstrate:
* A desire to understand diverse attitudes, beliefs, behaviors, and practices and to incorporate a culturally responsive lens into teaching and learning.
* A record of successful collaboration with colleagues, families, and students.
* A commitment to lifelong learning, and ongoing professional development.
* An ability to infuse technology to enhance student learning.
* An openness to interdisciplinary teaching.
* An appreciation for and understanding of the social and emotional development of students.
* Flexibility, optimism, and a sense of humor.
Context and Philosophy
Friends School of Baltimore has an opening for a full-time Russian Teacher and Middle School Advisor beginning in August 2020. The position will require the successful candidate to teach three sections of Middle School Russian and one additional course in grades 6-8. The position will also require the successful candidate to advise 10-15 Middle School students per year; offering guidance and support in school, acting as the main liaison between the child’s family and school, and leading family conferences throughout the year. Of particular interest are candidates who are also proficient in Spanish and/or are willing to continue professional education towards attaining proficiency in Spanish.
* Teach the core subject area(s) that honors the Quaker values and the Teaching and Learning Paradigm<https://www.friendsbalt.org/page/academics/academics-at-friends/teaching–learning> of Friends School.
* Advise a small group of students.
* Fulfill a “plus one” responsibility in the co-curricular or extra-curricular life of the school including clubs, coaching, special event planning, field trips, seminars, mentoring new teachers etc.
* Attend All-School Professional Days, Department meetings, and Middle School faculty meetings.
* Help move the initiatives of the School forward by serving on committees and lending their expertise and voice.
* Collaborate with teachers in their Department, within the division, and cross-divisionally.
* Provide parents and administrators with written and oral reports that explain in detail how a child is progressing in the various areas of his/her educational experience.
* Complete timely, detailed, and prescriptive progress reports, grades, and comments at regular intervals during the year for each student they teach.
* Commit to professional learning on culturally responsive teaching, mind/brain/education pedagogies, restorative practices, and racial justice training.
* Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree and experience preferred
* Candidates should demonstrate a willingness to understand and incorporate Quaker Principles and Quaker education into their work.
Friends School of Baltimore actively promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion in all programs and operations, including admissions, financial aid, and hiring. To form a community which strives to reflect the world’s diversity, we do not discriminate on the basis of race or color, religion, age, nationality, ethnicity, economic background, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. Friends School of Baltimore is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of color and members of other underrepresented groups who might enrich and diversify the school community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply for the Middle School Russian Teacher at Friends School of Baltimore using the link below.