Types of Jobs

Work-Study

Work-Study provides part-time jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for their educational expenses. The program encourages community service and work related to a student’s course of study. Students may either be attending full-time or part-time.

Employers must be approved ahead of time to hire Work-Study students. Work-Study may be appealing to employers because they only have to pay 30% of a student worker’s wages – the remaining 70% is paid for by the Work-Study program.

Non-Work-Study

Part-Time

Students and employers looking for part-time or seasonal work may search and post job openings on the Hire a Longhorn. Note: Employment agencies (e.g. temporary, recruiting, and staffing agencies) may not post to Hire a Longhorn.

Internships

Internships are a great way for students to gain real-world work experience, and often provides a competitive edge in today’s job market. For information on internship opportunities and how to post them, contact the appropriate campus career center or HireUTexas. Internships may not be posted on Hire a Longhorn.

Volunteer

Students interested in giving back to the community through volunteer opportunities should contact the the Longhorn Center for Community Engagement. The Longhorn Center offers a wide variety of services to non-profit agencies in search of UT volunteers (usually unpaid). Agencies must register their organization with the Longhorn Center to post volunteer positions. Hundreds of UT students, staff, and faculty search the database daily for volunteer opportunities.

Full-Time

Full-time jobs are strongly discouraged for full-time students. However, full-time positions for summer may be posted on Hire a Longhorn. Once a student graduates, HireUTexas is a great place to search for a first job. Full-time, professionally oriented positions may not be posted to Hire a Longhorn. Employers should contact HireUTexas, a cooperative effort of many of the University’s career services offices.