Tretyak, V., Kirsch, D., Radpour, S., Webber, W., Fromme, K., Strakowski, S. M., Lippard, ETC. Subjective Response to Alcohol in Typically Developing Emerging Adults and Those with Bipolar Disorder, Associated Alcohol Use, and Orbitofrontal Gray Matter Volume. J of Affective Disorders, 279: 671-679, 2021.
Kirsch, D., Tretyak, V., Radpour, S., Webber, W., Fromme, K., Strakowski, S. M., Lippard, ETC. Childhood maltreatment and correlated prefrontal paralimbic gray matter volume and activity during emotional and cognitive processing in young adults with familiar risk for bipolar disorder. Scientific Reports, 11: article number 123, 2021
Lippard ETC, Weber W, Welge J, Adler C, Fleck DE, DelBello MP, Strakowski SM. Anterior Cingulate Functional Connectivity with Amygdala and Caudate during First-Manic Episode in Bipolar Disorder and Relations with Treatment Response. Bipolar Disorders, in press.
Jabbi M, Weber W, Welgee J, Nerye F, Tallman M, Gable A, Fleck DE, Lippard ETC, DelBello M, Adler C, Strakowski SM. Frontolimbic brain volume abnormalities in bipolar disorder with suicide attempts. Psychiatry Research, 294:113516, 2020.
Sankar A, Purves P, Colic L, Lippard ETC, Millard H, Fan S, Spencer L, Wang F, Pittman B, Constable TR, Gross JJ, Blumberg HP. Altered Frontal Cortex Functioning in Emotion Regulation and Hopelessness in Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorders, 2020, doi: 10.1111/bdi.12954 (online ahead of print), PMID: 32521570
Kirsch D, Nemeroff CM, Lippard ETC. Early life stress and substance use disorders: underlying neurobiology and pathways to adverse outcomes. Adversity and Resilience Science, 2020.
Lippard ETC, Nemeroff CB. The devastating clinical consequences of child abuse and neglect: increased disease vulnerability and poor treatment response in mood disorders. The American Journal of Psychiatry: 177(1):20-36, 2020. PMCID: PMC6939135
Schmaal L, van Harmelono A-L, Lippard ETC, Chatzi V, Toenders Y, Blumberg HP. Imaging suicidal thoughts and behaviors: a comprehensive review of two decades of neuroimaging studies. Molecular Psychiatry: 25(2):408-427, 2019. PMCID: PMC6974434
Lippard ETC, Johnston JAY, Spencer L, Quatrano S, Fan S, Sankar A, Weathers J, Pittman B, Oquendo M, Blumberg HP. Gray and white matter structure and longitudinal changes in frontal systems associated with future suicide attempts in adolescents and young adults with mood disorders. Journal of Affective Disorders: 245:1139-1148, 2019. PMCID: PMC6487887
Fan S, Lippard ETC, Sankar A, Wallace A, Johnston JAY, Wang F, Pittman B, Spencer L, Oquendo MA, Blumberg HP. Grey and white matter differences in adolescents and young adults with prior suicide attempts across bipolar and major depressive disorders. Journal of Affective Disorders: 245: 1089-1097. PMCID: PMC6903411
Weathers J, Lippard ETC, Spencer L, Quatrano S, Pittman B Wang F, Blumberg HP. Longitudinal diffusion tensor imaging study of adolescents and young adults with bipolar disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (2018). PMCID: PMC5806147
Lippard ETC, Jensen K, Wang F, Johnston JAY, Spencer L, Pittman B, McIntosh A, Gelernter J, Blumberg HP. Effects of ANK3 variation on gray and white matter in bipolar disorder. Molecular Psychiatry (2017). PMCID: PMC5133179
Lippard ETC, Jensen KP, Wang F, Johnston JAY, Spencer L, Pittman B, Gelernter J, Blumberg HP. Genetic variation of ANK3 is associated with lower white matter structural integrity in bipolar disorder. Molecular Psychiatry (2017).
Johnston JAY, Wang F, Liu J, Blond BN, Wallace A, Liu J, Spencer L, Cox Lippard ET, Purves KL, Landeros-Weisenberger A, Hermes E, Pittman B, Zhang S, King R, Martin A, Oquendo MA, Blumberg HP. Multimodal Neuroimaging of Frontolimbic Structure and Function Associated With Suicide Attempts in Adolescents and Young Adults With Bipolar Disorder. The American Journal of Psychiatry (2017). PMCID: PMC5939580
Lippard ET, Mazure CM, Johnston JA, Spencer L, Weathers J, Pittman B, Wang F, Blumberg HP. Brain circuitry associated with the development of substance use in bipolar disorder and preliminary evidence for sexual dimorphism in adolescents. Journal of neuroscience research (2017) 95(1-2):777-791. PMCID: PMC5123602
Najt P, Wang F, Spencer L, Johnston JAY, Cox Lippard ET, Lacadie C, Staib L, Papademetris X, Blumberg HP. Anterior cortical progression in neurodevelopment of bipolar disorder in adolescence. Biol Psychiatry (2016) 79:303-310. PMCID: PMC4595154
Lippard ETC, Jarrett TM, McMurray MS, Zeskind PS, Garber KA, Zoghby CR, Glaze K, Tate W, Johns JM. Early postpartum pup preference is altered by gestational cocaine treatment: associations with infant cues and oxytocin expression in the MPOA. Behavioural brain research. 2015; 278:176-85. PMCID: PMC4382406
Zeskind PS, McMurray MS, Cox Lippard ET, Grewen KM, Garber KA, Johns JM. Translational effects of prenatal cocaine exposure on human and rodent infant cries. PLOSone 9(10): e110349. 2014. PMCID: PMC4206414
Cox Lippard ET, Johnston JAY, Blumberg HP. Neurobiological risk factors for suicide: insights from brain imaging. American Journal of Preventitive Medicine 47 (3 Suppl 2): S152-162, 2014. PMCID: PMC4143781
de Zwarte SM, Johnston JA, Cox Lippard ET, Blumberg HP. Frontotemporal White Matter in Adolescents with, and at-Risk for, Bipolar Disorder. Journal of clinical medicine. 2014; 3(1):233-54. PMCID: PMC4449671
Anderson JS, Nielsen JA, Ferguson MA, Burback MC, Cox ET, Dai L, Gerig G, Korenberg JR. Abnormal brain synchrony in down syndrome. NeuroImage: Clinical 2: 703-715, 2013. PMCID: PMC3778249
Cox ET, Hodge CM, Shiekh MJ, Abramowitz AC, Jones GF, Makam PI, Zeskind PS, Johns JM. Delayed developmental changes in neonatal vocalizations correlates with disrupted ventral medial hypothalamus and central amygdala development in the rodent neonate: effects of prenatal cocaine. Behavioural Brain Research 235: 166-175, 2012. PMCID: PMC3461834
Cox ET, Jarrett TM, McMurray MS, Greenhill K, Hofler VE, Williams SK, Joyner PW, Middleton CL, walker CH, Johns JM. Combined norepinephrine/ serotonergic reuptake inhibition: effects on maternal behavior, aggression, and oxytocin in the rat. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2: 2011. PMCID: PMC3114092
Eiden RD, Schuetze P, Veira Y, Cox E, Jarrett T, Johns JM. Cocaine exposure and children’s self-regulation: indirect association via maternal aggression. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2: 2011. PMCID: PMC3115536
Zeskind PS, McMurray MS, Garber KA, Neuspiel JM, Cox ET, Grewen KM, Mayes LC, Johns JM. Development of translational methods in spectral analysis of human infant crying and rat pup ultrasonic vocalizations for early neurobehavioral assessment. Front Psychiatry 2: 2011. PMCID: PMC3199610
Johns JM, McMurray MS, Joyner PW, Jarrett TM, Williams SK, Cox ET, Black MA, Middleton CL, walker CH. Effects of chronic and intermittent cocaine treatment on dominance, aggression, and oxytocin levels in post-lactational rats. Psychopharmacology 211: 175-185, 2010. PMCID: PMC2910929
Williams SK, Cox ET, McMurray MS, Fay EE, Jarrett TM, Walker CH, Overstreet DH, Johns JM. Simultaneous prenatal ethanol and nicotine exposure affect ethanol consumption, ethanol preference and oxytocin receptor binding in adolescent and adult rats. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 31: 291-302, 2009. PMCID: PMC2743885
Cox ET, Brennaman LH, Gable KL, Hamer RM, Glantz LA, Lamantia AS, Lieberman JA, Gilmore JH, Maness PF, Jarskog LF. Developmental regulation of neural cell adhesion molecule in human prefrontal cortex. Neuroscience 162: 96-105, 2009. PMCID: PMC2739580
McMurray MS, Cox ET, Jarrett TM, Williams SK, Walker CH, Johns JM. Impact of gestational cocaine treatment or prenatal cocaine exposure on early postpartum oxytocin mRNA levels and receptor binding in the rat. Neuropeptides 42: 641-652, 2008. PMCID: PMC2614125
McMurray MS, Williams SK, Jarrett TM, Cox ET, Fay EE, Overstreet D, Walker C, Johns JM. Gestational ethanol and nicotine alters maternal behavior, oxytocin levels, and offspring ethanol drinking in rats. Neurotoxicology and teratology 30: 475-486, 2008. PMCID: PMC2581117
Books & Chapters
Lippard ETC and Nemeroff C. Chapter: Childhood maltreatment and mood disorders (2020). In: APA Textbook of Mood Disorders Second Edition (Eds: C.B. Nemeroff, S.M. Strakowski, N. Rasgon, and A.F. Schatzberg).
Kirsch D and Lippard ETC. Chapter 11: Genetics of bipolar disorder (2019). In: Bipolar Disorder (Eds: S. Strakowski, M. DelBellow, C. Adler, D. Fleck).
- 2020, Lippard ETC, The Devastating Clinical Consequences of Child Abuse and Neglect: Increased Disease Vulnerability and Poor Treatment Response in Mood Disorders. Keynote Address at Claritycon2020: San Antonio TX
- 2019, Lippard ETC, Weber W, Welge J, Adler C, Fleck DE, DelBello MP, Strakowski SM. Amygdala and caudate connectivity with the anterior cingulate during a first-manic episode in bipolar
disorder: distinguishing remitters and nonremitters following eight weeks of treatment. American College of Neuropsychopharmacology: Orlando FL
- 2019, Lippard ETC, Radpour S, Tretyak V, Kirsch D, Weber W, Strakowski SM. Neural responses to stress and associated alcohol use in young adults with bipolar disorder. Resesarch Society on Alcoholism: Minneapolis MN
- 2018, Lippard ETC, Radpour S., Weber W.A., Fromme K., and Strakowski S.M. Neuroanatomical Variation and Associations with Drinking Behavior, Drinking Motives, and RiskTaking in Young Adults With Bipolar Disorder. Society of Biological Psychiatry: New York NY
- 2018, Lippard ETC, Spencer L, Quatrano S, Blumberg HP. Brain predictors of suicide attempts in adolescents and young adults with bipolar disorder. The International Society for Bipolar Disorders: Mexico City
- 2016, Lippard ETC, Johnston JAY, Quatrano S, Spencer L, Weathers J, Mazure CM, Blumberg HP. White matter abnormalities associated with the development of substance use in bipolar disorder. American College of Neuropsychopharmacology: Hollywood FL
- 2016, Lippard ETC, Johnston JAY, Quatrano S, Spencer L, Weathers J, Mazure CM, Blumberg HP. Gender-related neural circuitry associated with development of substance use in bipolar disorder. Society of Biological Psychiatry: Atlanta GA
- 2014, Cox Lippard ET, Wang F, Johnston JAY, Mazure C, Spender L, Landeros-Weisenberger AL, King R, Martin A, Oquendo MA, Blumberg HP. Fronto-striatal-thalamic responses to faces associated with suicide attempts in female adolescents with major depressive disorder. Society of Biological Psychiatry: New York NY
- 2012, Cox ET, Grewen KM, Zeskind PS, Zoghby CR, Radcliffe MJ, Garber K, Tate W, Glaze K, Johns JM. Gestational cocaine exposure alters human and rodent maternal perception and preference of infant cries potentially through cocaine-exposure coinciding with a maternal shift in sensitivity to acoustic properties of cries. Society for Neuroscience: New Orleans LA
- 2011, Cox ET, Hodge CM, Shiekh MJ, Abramowitz A, Jones GF, Zeskind PS, Johns JM. Prenatal cocaine exposure alters longitudinal development of rodent neonatal vocalizing behavior correlating with delayed limbic system development. Society for Neuroscience: Washington DC