Guest Artist Spotlight: Ann Wrightson

annwrightson

Ann Wrightson is an Independent Reviewers of New England (IRNE) award recipient and a Tony-nominated lighting designer. She has worked as a Lighting Director for HBO Downtown Productions and their show, Politically Incorrect. She is currently working on Taylor Mac’s HIR for Steppenwolf Theatre Co.

We asked Wrightson when she decided to pursue a career in lighting design, and she shared with us that she came upon the decision her freshman year of college.

“[I] did not get an acting part so [I] went down to the shop,” said Wrightson. “[I] decided those were the people I liked. My TD/teacher at the time introduced me to an Adolph Appia book and had me do a dance lighting project. End of story really.”

Since then, Wrightson has gone on to work on various productions, such as Intimate Apparel at Guthrie Theatre, Souvenir at Lyceum Theatre on Broadway, August: Osage County, which was nominated for a Tony, at both the Imperial Theatre and Music Box Theater on Broadway, as well as many other productions.

She is excited by original work because it initiates new conversations between all collaborators involved, even though the process can be messy.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share
Posted in Uncategorized