Kat Lozano’s “Matrilineal”

img_3036

How far does the apple fall from the tree? In the age of fourth-wave feminism and Hillary Clinton, how do the women of today align with the women that came before them? Matrilineal explores lineage and the role it plays in the dissemination of knowledge through mother-daughter relationships.

We sat down with Kat Lozano, project lead for Matrilineal, to talk to her about her project. She shared with us why she decided to create this project and where she got her inspiration from.

“I’ve always had a really close relationship with my mother,” shared Lozano. “I feel like some of the stories she has told me throughout the years should be told.”

The installation is composed of different segments ranging from a video collection, items that have passed down to the collaborators, Kat Lozano and Madelyn Flabiano, and testimonials from the project and participants who walk through the installation.

“I love being able to tell stories and seeing what that could possibly do to an audience member,” shared Lozano.

Kat Lozano is a 3rd year BFA Acting major in the Department of Theatre and Dance at The University of Texas at Austin. She is inspired by her mother, her female elders, such as her professors, and the students in the Department of Theatre & Dance.

Matrilineal is an ongoing installation and is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 14th in room 2.138 in F. Loren Winship. You can follow their project through their hashtag #MatrilinealNWF and on instagram (@nwfmatrilineal).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share
Posted in Uncategorized