Learn About the ADN to BSN Program

ADN to BSN student

Nelda, ADN to BSN student

The University of Texas at Austin School of Nursing’s Associate Degree in nursing to Bachelor of Science in nursing (ADN to BSN) program is designed to prepare registered nurses with an associate degree to advance their careers, gain new skills and confidence, pursue leadership opportunities, and prepare for graduate school.

“The different teaching-learning options in this program address the fact that most of these students have already started a nursing career and have life responsibilities in addition to employment. For instance, many have work schedules that vary weekly and may have families,” said Dr. Lorraine C. Haertel, assistant professor of clinical nursing. “Offering options that best fit their lifestyle, learning style and schedule is a strong contributing factor to our goal of increasing the number of nurses who have BSN degrees. Course options include the traditional face-to-face classroom, online and hybrid courses that combine online with periodic, but not necessarily weekly, classes.”

The ADN to BSN program takes approximately 15 months to complete if students attend part-time, and 10 months, if full-time. Students range from newly graduated ADN holders to nurses with more than 30 years of experience.

“It’s an unbelievable program,” said Dr. Linda Carpenter, associate professor of clinical nursing. “It’s rigorous and offers both depth and breadth. Once students graduate, they are prepared to carry out their job with greater confidence or pursue leadership opportunities. We are also seeing a growing interest from these students in advanced practice nursing. Completing the BSN program provides so many options.”

Information about the program, including admission requirements, has been published in a new brochure. If you are a registered nurse interested in obtaining a baccalaureate degree, stop by the School of Nursing to request a brochure, or contact Brian Losoya, ADN to BSN advisor, at blosoya@nursing.utexas.edu.

ADN to BSN student

James, ADN to BSN student

“Through this program, I have gained confidence in my skills as a nurse — and as a person. I plan to continue my education at UT Austin through graduate school, where I know I will be prepared to be the best nurse I can be.” —James, UT Austin ADN to BSN student.

The BSN program is fully accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, the accrediting organization for professional nursing education and is approved by the Board of Nursing in Texas.

ADN to BSN student

Lauri, ADN to BSN student

“In my BSN program, I’m learning a more global aspect of health care. Besides learning ‘how’ to do the things nurses do, I’m learning ‘why’ they do them. It’s exciting!” —Lauri, UT Austin ADN to BSN student.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , ,
7 comments on “Learn About the ADN to BSN Program
  1. Please send me information on the ADN to BSN program. How much will it cost to complete.

2. Melissa Lorentzen says:

I’m interested in the ADN to RN program at UT and would like more information please.

• kaw3322 says:

The program mentioned in this blog is the ADN to BSN program (in order to enroll, you would need to have an associate’s degree in nursing as well as an RN license). For more information about that program, please contact Student Services at ss@nursing.utexas.edu or call 512-232-4780.

3. Good morning. My name is Nathan Withers and I was wanting to see if the program (see above) has an all online option. I live in Waco so we it would be difficult to attend classes in Austin. Let me know when you can. Thanks for your help.
    Nathan