CareerSmart offers no or low cost training and certificate programs for UT staff. UT employees are integral contributors to the success of the organization. CareerSmart training helps to ensure we have a competitive workforce that operates at a high level of performance and innovation. By taking advantage of the training offered through CareerSmart, employees can grow their knowledge and skills.
This program provides an in-depth look at the policies, practices, and procedures needed to be a successful manager at UT Austin. This program is ideal if you are new to management, have experience but want to learn the UT way, would like to prepare for a future role in management, or want to strengthen your management skills.
In order to offer employees an efficient experience, no admissions process is required for this program. To begin, simply sign up in UTLearn and attend the classes below. Classes may be taken in any order.
- Manager Tools for Responding to Distress and Disruption in the Workplace
- Managing People and Performance
- The Inclusive Workplace
- Supervisory Leave Policy Overview
- Managing Compensation and Classification
- Introduction to Workers’ Compensation
- Hiring Talent for a Diverse Work Environment
- Compliance and Ethics for Supervisors
NOTE: Conflict Management Foundations is temporarily on hold. This class is being waived for the certificate program during this time.
Managerial Best Practices (more information coming soon)
The HR Essentials Program is designed specifically for Human Resource professionals. The focus is on the relevant laws, regulations and policies that inform the University’s HR business practices with staff, the organization culture that the University seeks to uphold, and the best practices associated with attracting and retaining the employees necessary to achieve the organization’s objectives. The program builds a cohesive HR knowledge base among practitioners who function in a highly decentralized environment. Courses strive to provide a teaching level of instruction to those who are new to the profession or University as well as a depth of detail, examples and best practices to enrich the expertise of seasoned HR professionals.
The Program contains 26 classes covering the employment life-cycle. Participation in the Program requires the approval of the College, School or Unit’s (CSU) HR Executive prior to registration.
Certificate requirements are as follows:
- HR Essentials: Basics is for HR staff performing mostly at a transactional level. To earn this certificate, you must attend 15 core courses and 4 elective courses within three years to receive certification.
- HR Essentials: Advanced is for HR staff performing at a broader level. To earn this certificate, you must attend 19 core courses and 4 elective courses within three years to receive certification.
- CSU HR Executive will determine appropriate track for a participant as part of their approval process.
Courses provide Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP credential-holders.
For questions about the HR Essentials program, please send an email to HRS.SWS@austin.utexas.edu.
Additional Learning Programs
UT Career Essentials: UT Career Essentials Playlist
360˚ Leadership Feedback and Coaching
The 360 process provides an opportunity for you to assess your management and leadership strengths and challenges through 360˚ feedback facilitated by a certified coach. You will then have an opportunity to work with a coach to design your own customized development plan. The cost for this process is $165. If you wish to do a 360, please email Careersmart@austin.utexas.edu