The UT School of Pharmacy was established at Galveston with a legislative allocation of $2,500 and with James Kennedy as chairman. Classes began on October 3, 1893.
Classes during the first year occupied three rooms of the basement of the Medical Department’s “Old Red Building” in Galveston.
R.R.D. Cline assumed the leadership of pharmacy education. A. Eugene Dabney and W.E. Hubbert became the first graduates of the school in May.
The Pharmaceutical Association of The University of Texas was organized to bring together all members of the Pharmacy Department. The first class in prescription compounding was added to the curriculum.
The School of Pharmacy graduated its first women: May Everett, Bertha L. Howze, Sister Mary Etienne, and Sister Mary Rosalie.
An honors system within the school was established to give recognition to those students with an average grad of 90 or better.
The first scholarship, presented by the Texas State Pharmaceutical Association, consisted of $150 and was awarded to Frank Glasscock.