1920s


College of Pharmacy History, The University of Texas at Austin

UT Women Athletes of the 1920’s.

1920

The Ladies Auxiliary of the Texas State Pharmaceutical Association awarded its first scholarship to a promising female student. The school was elevated to the status of College of Pharmacy.


1921

A shack was erected near Galveston’s main building to accommodate a chemistry laboratory to ease overcrowding in pharmacy’s basement facilities.


1922

The Board of Regents adopted a recommendation to restrict enrollment to the college to ease severe overcrowding. Pharmacology/Toxicology became a department of the college.


College of Pharmacy History, The University of Texas at Austin1923

Entrance requirements for the College of Pharmacy were changed to require a high school diploma.


1924

Courses in hospital pharmacy were added to the curricula, and William F. Gidley was appointed dean.


1925

The Board of Regents approved a new Ph.G. curriculum in pharmacy, increasing the degree from a two-year to a three-year program.


1926

The College of Pharmacy became a member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. Irma Smith became the first woman to be named to a professorial position within the college.


College of Pharmacy History, The University of Texas at Austin

Faculty of the College of Pharmacy in 1927.

1927

The Board of Regents moved the College of Pharmacy to the UT Austin campus. There it was housed in temporary makeshift quarters including army barracks.  Classes were also conducted in the biology and chemistry buildings.


1928

 


College of Pharmacy History, The University of Texas at Austin

Pharmacy quarters on the Austin campus with the new Chemistry Building in the background.

1929

The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry of the College of Pharmacy became a subdivision of the University’s Department of Chemistry.


Facebook link iconMake a Gift
Texas Pharmacy: The University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy