SAGAR publishes innovative academic writing in the humanities and social sciences of South Asia, as well as critical translations of texts from South Asian languages to English. The journal was established in 1993 and is published annually by the South Asia Institute at the University of Texas at Austin.
SAGAR: A South Asia Research Journal is now accepting full-length research articles and translations for our next print volume to be published in Fall 2019. The journal publishes articles after they pass through a peer review process. Articles can be from the fields of anthropology, sociology, film studies, linguistics, translation, religious studies, history, art and art history, theater and performance, dance, media studies, literature and comparative literature, visual arts, critical theory, geography, urban studies, environmental studies, political science, economic history, women and gender studies.
Manuscripts are expected to follow the Chicago Manual of Style for citations. Full citation information should be included in footnotes. The entire article, including block quotations and notes, should be double-spaced. Please remove any identifying information so that submission is suitable for anonymous review.
(1) Full-length research articles: These should be between 5,000 and 8,000 words and should include a one-paragraph abstract. Please add your name, academic affiliation, topic name, and abstract on a separate cover page.
(2) Original translations: These should be between 2,000 and 3,000 words, preceded by a 1,300-1,600-word introduction that contextualizes the text or excerpt. Please send a scanned copy of the original source text along with your submission. If your submission is accepted, you will be asked to type the original source text for publication on our website. Please add your name, academic affiliation, and topic name on a separate cover page.
(3) Online essays: Online essays should be 1,500 words or less and should include citations. Submissions with images, video and/or audio are encouraged.
(4) Reviews of archives: Our archive reviews are published throughout the year. We encourage contributions from scholars who have recently consulted particular archives. Contributors should include information about archive holdings, accessibility and fees, working hours, duplication, and food and lodging.
This year we aim to add a book review to our journal.
For Book review:
We are now accepting 250 word proposals for book reviews. The book chosen to be reviewed should be no older than three years based on date of publication. This proposal should include the title of the book, author, and a concise statement as to why the book would fit into the field of South Asian studies. Once the proposals are reviewed, a peer review process will determine which reviews will be accepted for the journal and the proposal author will be invited to contribute their review. The deadline for book review proposals is January 15th, 2019. Please note that this is a separate submission from an article or translation and submitting for book reviews and articles is allowed.
All submissions should include two files:
Both files should include:
1. Article submission
2. Publishable images with credits, if any.
Each photograph is equivalent to 250 words.
3. For translations, a scanned copy of the original source text. One of the files should also include a title page with the author’s name and email address as well as a 100-word biography of the author.
The second file will be for blind submission and cannot contain the name or contact information of the author.
As of July 2020 SAGAR is currently in hiatus and not accepting any new submissions. As the journal moves towards an online space we will update the website to include any new submission deadlines.
Please watch this website for announcements regarding the next journal.
For any inquiries please feel free to email us at Sagarjournal@gmail.com
SAGAR Journal is run with generous support by:
The South Asia Institute of the University of Texas at Austin:
The library at the University of Texas at Austin and their catalog repository
The University of Texas At Austin