Alum's Book Parodies Pregnancy Guide

In a spoof on the pregnancy self-help book “What to Expect When You’re Expecting,” Mary K. Moore (BJ ’96) spotlights the absurd moments of pregnancy and shakes the sugar-coating off symptoms.

Sure to brighten the day of any woman, “preggars” or not, Moore’s book delivers tongue-in-cheek advice on everything from how to know when baby prepping reaches a level of paranoia to picking a name to the do the dos and don’ts of “postpartum partying.”

A former New York editor for publications like Marie Claire and Cosmopolitan, Moore admits she’s not a guru, doctor, or parenting expert but has fallen in love with being a mother to her 3-year-old daughter, Scarlett.

The sassy mother-daughter duo lives with husband/dad T.J. in Austin.

The Unexpected When You’re Expecting: A Parody” was published by Sourcebooks last September.

Reprinted with permission from the Nov./Dec. 2008 issue of The Alcalde. For further reading, check out the Austin American-Statesman’s Nov. 4 story about Moore’s work, “She’s expecting a book.”

11 thoughts on “Alum's Book Parodies Pregnancy Guide

1. This is GREAT! I’ll be ordering this on Amazon tonight. I’m 12 weeks pregnant and I’m sure I’ll get a lot of good laughs from this and will be sharing it will all of my readers at my blog: http://www.hisboyscanswim.com

Thanks for sharing info @ this book :)

— A fellow Texan, Jane

2. Hilarious !!! I just love this book.I got this in the second trimester of my pregnancy ,I was really nervous.This book is really funny and it is reassuring because it made me feel like there is no point in being nervous.

3. for some women, pregnancy is very complicated and sometimes deadly too because of complications.

4. pregancy is quite critical and also requires more of your time so that you can monitor your health progress ~-;

5. pregancy is quite critical and also requires more of your time so that you can monitor your health progress ~-;

6. pregancy is quite critical and also requires more of your time so that you can monitor your health progress ~-;

7. pregancy is quite critical and also requires more of your time so that you can monitor your health progress ~-;

8. pregancy is quite critical and also requires more of your time so that you can monitor your health progress ~-;

9. pregancy is quite critical and also requires more of your time so that you can monitor your health progress ~-;

10. pregancy is quite critical and also requires more of your time so that you can monitor your health progress ~-;

11. pregancy is quite critical and also requires more of your time so that you can monitor your health progress ~-;