Dr. Sylvia Chen, Counseling and Mental Health Center, received the Outstanding Early Professional Award from the American College Personnel Association’s (ACPA) Commission on Counseling and Psychological Services.
- Stacey Bennett and Tiana Lindberg, Housing and Food Service, won the annual Case Study Competition at the 2013 Southwest Association of College & University Housing Officers (SWACUHO) Conference.
- Jester Residence Hall earned the Number One On-Campus Living nod in Longhorn Life Magazine’s The Utmost Best Of Edition 2013.
Hemlata Jhaveri, Housing and Food Service, was inducted as a Diamond Honoree at the ACPA 2013 annual conference for her outstanding and sustained contributions to ACPA, higher education, and student affairs.
- Hemlata Jhaveri, Housing and Food Service, presented at ACPA with colleagues from California and Oregon on “The Intersection of Student Affairs and Federal Legislation: Ethical Responsibilities.”
- Hemlata Jhaveri and Coree Newman Coronado, Housing and Food Service, presented “Supervision 201: Legal and Ethical Considerations on Providing References” and “Transformative Learning in a Campus Residence Hall Museum” at NASPA.
- Dr. LaToya Hill, Office of the Dean of Students, joined Hemlata Jhaveri, Justin Jaskowiak, and Coree Newman Coronado, Housing and Food Service, to present “From Crisis to Commencement: Reaching Out Beyond Boundaries” at NASPA.
- Kristin McGowan, Housing and Food Service, and former hall coordinator Jennifer Nailos presented at NASPA on “Problem Based Learning in Emergency Preparedness Training.”
- Nicole Olmeda, Recreational Sports, was named Oregon State University Alumni of the Year by their recreational sports program. Additionally, Olmeda was honored with the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) National Service Award for serving as chair of NIRSA’s Research and Assessment Committee and her exceptional leadership in developing the NIRSA Institutional Data Set, a benchmarking tool designed to give NIRSA members point-and-click access to current data on the NIRSA website. While attending the conference she also presented on “The School: NIRSA’s National School of Recreational Sports Management.”
- Recreational Sports and Housing and Food Service joined Athletics and the Tower in marking Earth Hour by turning off the lights at 8:30 p.m. on March 23.
- Smita Ruzicka, Office of the Dean of Students, presented a day long training event at Stanford University last month for their residential education staff about facilitating inter-group dialogues.
- Sam Siner, Housing and Food Service, presented “Designing Student Employment Documents: Creating a Framework for Student Learning” at ACPA.
- David Stones, former Student Affairs staffer, received the Arno Nowotny Award for his service to students during his time at UT Austin. Stones transformed and modernized the university’s admissions and registration processes during his tenure.
- Student Emergency Services’ Student Emergency Fund is a 2013 recipient of the Texas Parents Student Enrichment Award.
- University Health Services received a 2012 Hearts of Texas Star Department Award for our annual charity basket raffle.
- Jennifer Zamora, University Unions, presented an educational session “Perspectives on Supervising Millennials” at the Association of College Unions International (ACUI) conference.
“A Tip of the Hat to . . .”
… Division staff who participated in the efforts around Explore UT and UT VIP, from Housing and Food Service. “With the campus full of students, alumni, families and guests, every helping hand in the planning, preparation and facilitation of the events was extremely useful and helped contribute to the successful day!”