True Colors® Tips

Katy and Jen-True Colors

Jennifer Zamora (University Unions) and Katy Redd (Counseling and Mental Health Center)

As a brightened green, I am often looking for new ways to encourage my gold to shine a little brighter. When I was trained as a True Colors® facilitator, I remember Jennifer Zamora (also a True Colors® facilitator) saying that her closet is organized by color — I was intrigued. “Organizing is fun!” she exclaimed.

Jen-Office

Jennifer Zamora shows the organized bookshelf in her office.

As a brightened gold, Jennifer, the director for student programs at University Unions, is animated and enthusiastic about organizing. Her office in the Texas Union is impeccable: color-coded files with expertly-applied labels sit at perfect angles on the corner of her desk. Her gold shines brightly and her zest for order is actually quite infectious. Inspired by her gold qualities, I sat down with her to get some tips for organizing and bringing out my gold:

• Take the time. Organizing your office or home to-do list takes time up front, but will save time in the long run. Dedicating some time to setting up a system is worth the investment up front, because it will save you time in the long run.
  • Find your system. What works for someone else might not work for you. If your method of keeping track of projects isn’t working, it can be helpful to get some ideas from those around you. Always remember to stay true to yourself.
  • If it’s not working, change course. Don’t be afraid to try something new that could work better. It might take a few tries before you find the right fit.

Hopefully this article will inspire you to ask your colleagues about their True Colors® spectrum. Through conversations with fellow Division staff, we can learn useful tools to brighten all of the colors in our spectrum.

Katy Redd
Assistant Director for Prevention and Outreach
Counseling and Mental Health Center