Standouts

Tia McLeroy, Darla Stewart and Rene Rodriguez (Housing and Food Service), Awards Chair Dawn Hearne (Hendrix College), Robert Dewitt, Terrell Murrell and Dane Cessac (Housing and Food Service) at The National Association of College & University Food Services (NACUFS) Conference

Housing and Food Service received a gold medal for Outreach and Education at The National Association of College & University Food Services (NACUFS) Sustainability Awards for UT Farm Stand. Sustainability coordinator Neil Kaufman helped launch the student-led program to have a farmer’s market on campus three to five times per semester.

Sierra Castedo, The Center for Students in Recovery, was elected to serve as the Southwest Region Representative for the Association of Recovery in Higher Education.

Sierra Castedo Conference

Sierra Castedo (second from left on the panel, The Center for Students in Recovery) at the Association of Recovery in Higher Education and Association of Recovery Schools national conference

Sierra Castedo, The Center for Students in Recovery, participated in the “Conversation on Collegiate Recovery” panel, a keynote session at the Association of Recovery in Higher Education and Association of Recovery Schools national conference. Castedo also presented “Working with Advisory Boards, Councils or Committees” with Julie McElrath (University High School).  

John Harris, The Center for Students in Recovery, demonstrated how to host a sugar skull-making workshop at the Association of Recovery in Higher Education and Association of Recovery Schools national conference. He gave the presentation following the popularity of the center’s Dia de los Muertos event.

Kelsey Lammy, Counseling and Mental Health Center, gave a presentation about how to manage stress at the School of Social Work’s SPARK UT Teen Conference for teenagers living in foster care across Texas. SPARK is a partnership with New Student Services’ Horns Helping Horns to create a campus-wide network to help students who grew up in foster care achieve educational success.

Ruben Mercado (University Unions) at the Association for College Unions-International (ACUI) 2017 Institute for Leadership Education and Development (I-LEAD®)

Ruben Mercado, University Unions, facilitated a small group during at the Association for College Unions-International (ACUI) 2017 Institute for Leadership Education and Development (I-LEAD®) at Kansas State University.

Marian Trattner, Counseling and Mental Health Center, gave a presentation about resilience and how to bounce back from failure at the SPARK UT Teen Conference.

“A Tip of the Hat to…”

Susan Buckenmeyer, Office of the Dean of Students, who received this note from a student who was looking into A Moment of Magic Foundation becoming a registered student organization: 

“I’m not sure if you remember me or not but my name is Anita Ghamarian. I met with you a couple times last semester about applying to A Moment of Magic Foundation to create a chapter here at UT Austin. A Moment of Magic is a Foundation that allows college students to volunteer at pediatric hospitals dressed as some of the world’s most popular princesses and characters to bring a joy to their childhood. Well, we are lucky enough to be one of the 10 universities across the country to be accepted as a new chapter!! I’m so excited and I just wanted to thank you for all your help to make this happen! I couldn’t have done it without your approval and blessing.”

Susan Buckenmeyer and Elisa Ramos, Office of the Dean of Students, who received this note from Texas Women of Excellence (student organization):

“Women of Excellence would like to thank you for helping our organization with the 2017 Summer Orientation Program. Susan Buckenmeyer and Elisa Ramos were especially helpful during the logistical part from providing snacks for the program to meeting with our Director of Recruitment Ricqui Brager. The program each week was very successful and we look forward to possibly working with Student Activities in the future.”

New Student Services staff who received this comment about orientation from a parent on their Facebook page:

“Thank you for doing such an awesome job. We were there and extremely impressed with how organized everything was and how friendly everyone was. Y’all are awesome.”

Susie Smith and Texas Parents staff who received these notes from Family Orientation attendees:

“Dear Susie and staff, I just wanted to tell you how much our family enjoyed your orientation! It was so informative and lots of fun… looking forward to being a part of all those wonderful Longhorn traditions! Hook ‘em!”

“I really enjoyed Family Orientation yesterday — it was my first visit to the school and it felt very comfortable and easy. After a very full day, meeting lovely people and gathering all my info, I had a pleasant journey back to New Jersey and felt good about my son’s choice to spend his next four years at UT Austin.”

“Susie, you are an amazing person and I feel comfortable leaving my daughter in another parent’s hands along with the other 50,000 kids you have on campus! I got my four-year Supporting Membership today and felt good about it. Thanks so much!”

Posted in Uncategorized