Rainy season – should I go?

When the program first started, I was extremely nervous because I hardly talked to anyone in class and now I was going to be stuck with them for a month in a foreign country. I contemplated just dropping from the program because what was I doing going to a foreign country with people I hardly knew. I’m so glad that I didn’t since it ended up being one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I couldn’t have asked for a better group to experience all of this with.

Being able to stand at the archaeological sites and learn about even the tiniest of details about their architecture and background was incredible. It’s hard to visualize an ancient city when reading about them but once you’re at the site there are no words to describe it. The place just sort of comes alive and you can’t help but imagine what life must have been like back then. The research aspect of this program allowed me to connect with some of the locals in a way that I would have never imagined. They were so open about many controversial topics like religion, identity, and gender roles. I was able to learn more about them in one sitting than I would have reading about them.

I didn’t think that I would get so attached to a place that I’d only be living in for less than three weeks, but that is exactly what happened with Antigua. I started missing it as soon as we left. I couldn’t help but think about my homestay family and all the amazing people I met there. Waking up to the sight of volcanoes and the sound of the birds outside my window is something that I’ll never forget. Antigua is a small city that holds a special place in my heart. I hope to someday return and fully experience everything that this city has to offer.

A piece of advice that I’d give future students of this program is to bring rain boots 🙂 If you’re going during the rainy season your shoes will get wet and they will stay wet for days!

(Photo: Hayley is prepared!)

(Photo: Skipping in the rain – go Cheyenne!)