Cheers To The Many First Times!

Studying abroad is the best decision you will ever make! If you ever see yourself with the opportunity to study abroad anywhere in the world, especially Guatemala/Belize, do not think it twice! Believe me, you will never regret it.

Be flexible and willing to take yourself out of your comfort zone. Do not be afraid to try new things, such as hiking a volcano, snorkeling in the Caribbean, or swimming with sharks, because even if it’s the first time that you’re doing such things or if it scares you to death, those experiences will end up giving you the best memories ever along the people that you will get to call friends forever!

fullsizeoutput_cfa

Myself, a person who finds hard to open up to people and get comfortable with the uncomfortable, found the way to make the best out of this study abroad experience. I met awesome people that I now have the privilege to call friends, and along them I created the best memories of the many first times we had together. Along my friends, I got to swim/snorkel with sharks, sting rays, an eel and a manatee! We also got to hike a volcano and climb one of the highest temples in the Maya world, never giving up, always together and supporting each other.

fullsizeoutput_cf0

This study abroad experience in Guatemala and Belize will always live in my memory and in my heart, and even though it came to an end I know that it is just the beginning of many more first times to come and everlasting friendships. No matter where you go study abroad make sure to make the best out of it, give it your all and remember to always include your peers on anything that you do because those experiences will make a difference and will live with you forever!

FullSizeRender 17

Author: Kelly Martinez

Hola! My name is Kelly, a Guatemalan in Guatemala! I’m a psychology major immersing on this awesome study abroad program in Guatemala wishing to learn more about the rich history, art, culture, and gastronomy of this country, while also researching about the mental health system of Guatemala. I am open to all new adventurous experiences, from hiking a volcano, to going zip-lining in the highlands of Guatemala. I enjoy listening to music and dancing my heart out, but I also enjoy a quiet day reading a romance book and watching a sad love story movie on Netflix. I am more than ready and open for new experiences! So, bring it on Guatemala!