About the Terry Foundation
The Terry Foundation was established in 1986 by Houstonians Howard Terry (1916-2012) and Nancy Terry (1927-2012) out of a desire to help young people to help themselves. The Foundation’s goal is to strengthen the state of Texas by identifying Texas high school graduates and transfer students who have promise of future leadership distinction and assisting them in developing their future and the futures of those around them.
Who can apply?
The Terry Foundation provides four-year scholarships for Texas resident students attending UT Austin and several other Universities in the state of Texas. Terry Scholars are selected from a highly competitive applicant pool of incoming freshmen who demonstrate exceptional leadership, character, and scholastic ability. Family income and financial need are also considered. Current (continuing) and incoming transfer UT Austin Students are not eligible to apply for the Terry Foundation Scholarship. To be considered for the Terry Foundation Scholarship at The University of Texas at Austin you must:
- Begin an ApplyTexas Application and select UT Austin as your target university. You must begin the Admission Section of the application before you are given access to the Scholarship Section.
- Complete and save the Admission Section. Doing so, leads you directly into the Scholarship Section, which will allow the University to also consider you for other available scholarships. Much of your scholarship information is directly tied to the Admission Section, so it is very important that you save your admission information before you begin the Scholarship Section.
- Select the Terry Foundation Scholarship from the list of available scholarships. You will be prompted to answer several scholarship and university specific questions to apply for the Terry Foundation Scholarship.
- Complete and SUBMIT your ApplyTexas application, including all required essays NO LATER THAN December 1.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 15. (Application available October 1.) The FAFSA application will determine your eligibility for federal grants and is REQUIRED for all Terry Foundation Candidates and Finalists.
Potential Terry Candidates
If you are selected by The University of Texas at Austin as a potential Terry candidate, you will be contacted by the UT Austin Office of Financial Aid to submit additional information, such as recommendation letters. Terry Scholarship Candidates are recommended to the Foundation by the school. Candidates must attend a personal interview with the Terry Foundation Scholarship Selection Committee. The Terry Foundation selects the scholarship recipients from among the candidates who are recommended for interview.
Other universities which are also affiliated with the Terry Scholarship program may have different application procedures. Please contact each individual school for specific instructions.
Current UT Austin Terry Scholars
Current UT Austin Terry scholars should refer to the Terry Foundation Scholar Handbook available online. The handbook is also distributed at the Terry Foundation Scholar Orientation each Fall semester. Current and accurate mailing addresses and a valid email address ARE REQUIRED by the Terry Foundation. To review or update your contact information, please go to the Scholars Only portal on the Foundation’s website.