Photographs

Here I am, knee deep in mud in a rice paddy. This is actually from Niigata, which is not part of Tōhoku, but it’s pretty similar.
Mt. Iwate, an active volcano in Iwate Prefecture just outside of Morioka. Click on the photo for more information.
Wooded area in Aomori Prefecture, north of Iwate.
Pottery made by a local artisan in Kanegasaki in 2016.
A pottery demon made by a local artisan in Kanegasaki in 2016.
An iris in bloom after a rain at Motsu-ji in Hiraizumi.
Rice art produced in Ōshū City in Iwate. The pictures are produced by carefully planting different colored rice plants in order to create the image. Each year, farmers change the images.
View walking up the temple mountain at Hiraizumi.
The beautiful Iwate coastline at Miyako.
Seafood, what else can I say?

Tōhoku is a diverse place with many different lifestyles.  There are significant dialect differences from one area to another and the economy ranges from agricultural to heavy industry.  If you drive a Prius C, it may well have been built in this part of Japan.

The photographs here show some of that diversity.  On this page, there are some general pictures and more specific groups of photographs can be accessed through the menu above.

I have also included pages of photos I have taken in other parts of Japan.

Please note that the photographs on these pages are the sole property of John Traphagan and are not to be used without permission.

My daughter on the Iwate coastline.
More Iwate coast.
My daughter along the beach in Iwate. While she ran toward the water, a gentleman yelled at us to stay away from the water–the undertow is dangerous!
A conveyor belt sushi shop at lunch time.
Farming in Kanegasaki involves not only rice production, but also hay for the dairy farms in the western part of town.
A leaf.
A bit of the old and new.
A common site since the 2011 disaster is solar panel farms like this, which is along a road in the western part of Kanegasaki.
A lotus flower.