Archives for July 2019
BLANTON MUSEUM OF ART INTERNSHIP PROGRAM, ACADEMIC YEAR 2019–2020
POSITION: Prints and Drawings Intern
HOURS: 10-15/week (unpaid)
DESCRIPTION: The Julia Matthews Wilkinson Center for Prints and Drawings houses over 15,000 works on paper, the HE-B Study Room, a matting and framing studio, and the curatorial offices for the Blanton Museum of Art’s Department of Prints and Drawings. The Wilkinson Center welcomes university classes, scholars, and museum visitors to view works on paper in the H-E-B Study Room, one of the busiest in the country. The Intern will be involved in the care and interpretation of the prints and drawings collection, which ranges from the fifteenth to the twenty-first centuries. The position will offer valuable exposure to a wide range of original works of art, and provides an opportunity to learn about best practices of collection care and museum operations.
The Prints and Drawings Intern’s duties include, but are not limited to:
- Research works of art in the collection
- Catalogue new acquisitions
- Assist with art handling and movement
- Monitor the H-E-B Study Room while works of art are on view for classes
- Assist Curator and Curatorial Assistant with administrative tasks as needed
- UT undergraduate or graduate student
- Academic background in Art History, Studio Art, or Museum Studies
- Strong organizational and writing skills • Proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel
- Must be a confident, independent worker with a positive attitude
- Knowledge of printmaking or drawing media is a plus
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND BY AUGUST 5TH TO INTERNSHIPS@BLANTONMUSEUM.ORG:
- Resume with education, employment history, and names of 3 references
- 1 letter of recommendation
- Cover letter addressing your interest in the position
- Short academic writing sample (5 pages maximum)
Internships with Glimmer
GLIMMER COMMUNICATIONS INTERNSHIP
Specific duties within the communications internship may include:
- Contribute to projects that enhance Glimmer’s communications to our donors through writing, storytelling, synthesis of programs information and more
- Help organize our media content libraries
- Contribute to and help build Glimmer’s online presence
- Assist with research related to Glimmer’s marketing, communications and fundraising
- Write and edit copy; assist with visual storytelling
- Assist with other media projects as needed
GLIMMER PROGRAMS INTERNSHIP
Specific duties within the programs internship may include:
- Maintaining and updating program/project records in Glimmer’s project management database
- Testing and updating Glimmer’s interactive donor map and dashboard
- Helping document and construct comprehensive maps of Glimmer’s internal systems
- Conducting research on software/solutions providers
- Contributing to projects that build efficiency between Glimmer’s Austin and Addis Ababa offices
- Reviewing proposals and reports from our construction partners in Ethiopia
- Helping to streamline and standardize information in Glimmer’s financial and CRM databases
FOR BOTH INTERNSHIPS
- You’re a world changer. Interested in serving humanity? An internship at Glimmer means you’ll be a part of something big. Something that helps create change in your world.
- You’re independent and innovative, yet roll with the punches. We expect creative thinking and solutions from everyone here.
- You are a self-starter who thinks outside the box and provides real-time solutions without handholding. Our close-knit departments constantly overlap, so you can jump right into group projects, and deal with a diverse group.
- Your organization skills intimidate Martha Stewart. You stay organized throughout the duration of a project, and are able to juggle multiple projects at a time. You’re a firm believer that every detail matters.
- You get things done. You’re a pro at meeting deadlines. If you don’t know, you ask questions and get what you need to get the job done. You communicate early on if there is a problem. You don’t just show up, you perform your best.
- Knowledgeable and experienced. You have the education and work experience to back up your mad skills as a communicator and data analyst.
We’re looking for a part-time intern to come to our Austin office each semester (schedule is flexible). Please only apply if you are located in Austin, Texas.
An internship at A Glimmer of Hope is an incredible opportunity for students to gain experience at an international non-profit with a mission to help change the world. This is an unpaid internship but it may count for internship credit at your college or university.
Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Intern in the subject line and submit your resume and the answers to the following questions – please do not apply without submitting answers to the questions:
- Describe yourself.
- How did you become familiar with Glimmer?
- How did humanitarian work become a priority for you?
- Explain why you are applying for this position, and what makes you a good fit.
- If you are accepted, what will your personal goals be during your time here?
- What are two or three of your favorite websites?
- What is the last book that you read and enjoyed? The last book you read and didn’t enjoy?
- What are your three favorite movies?