Markting Internship – Digital Communications
About Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas
The Big Brothers mentoring concept first appeared in Austin in the early 1960’s when concerned community leaders began working to address the special needs of fatherless boys by pairing them with positive male role models.
Starting as a modest, informal program that served just five boys, through the years, our program has expanded its mission and grown in its capacity to serve boys, girls and families facing a range of different needs and challenges. Incorporated in 1971 as Big Brothers of Austin, we expanded our outreach to girls in 1975 and became known as Big Brothers Big Sisters of Austin.
We currently serve approximately 1,000 children and families each year and have continued to expand our services through a variety of innovative programs, including scholarship funding, Big Couples, Military Mentoring, Bigs in Blue and Big Futures programs. Additional special events include our annual fundraisers Bowl for Kids and Ice Ball, and recreational activities such as Hobie Day, our annual Holiday Party, Youth Activity Center nights and SantaCon.
At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas, we’ve been impacting the lives of children for more than 47 years. And, building on the contributions of those who have come before us and those who work with us today, we’re just getting started. We hope you’ll join us.
Must reside in Central Texas
Seeking an intern or volunteer to work in Big Brothers Big Sisters’ Marketing and Communications Department 15-20 hours per week assisting with the management of our agency websites, electronic communications and social media. This is a great opportunity to work with an established non-profit organization while gaining valuable marketing and communications experience. We can work with your school or institution to provide academic credit for your internship with BBBS.
1. Make regular updates, edits and changes to BBBS’ agency websites
2. Work with VP of Marketing and Communications to create and implement social media calendar
3. Manage the production and delivery of all social media content
4. Update and maintain online volunteer site listings
5. Write, edit and proofread stories, articles and general program information
6. Interview and interact with children, families, staff, volunteers, donors and others
7. Help organize photo shoots and other projects and activities
8. Assist with organization of marketing materials, folders, samples
9. Assist with other projects as assigned
1. Strong knowledge of, and experience with, WordPress
2. Experience producing, delivering and monitoring content across a range of social media platforms for a professional/business/nonprofit organization
3. Working knowledge of Canva, Photoshop, and/or other design/photo editing software
4. Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills
5. Exceptional organizational skills
6. Attention to detail
7. Project coordination skills
8. Ability to take direction and to contribute ideas
9. Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, YouTube, Hootsuite
1. Takes pride in producing excellent work
2. Proactive problem-solver
3. Follows through
4. Demonstrates respect for others
Please email a cover letter, resume and completed employment application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application can be found at https://www.bigmentoring.org/careers/#1598541503418-212a2ce2-1e36. Include exact job title in the subject line of your e-mail. No phone calls please. BBBS is an equal opportunity employer.
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.