About Austin Resource Recovery
The City of Austin is committed to a Zero Waste goal to reduce the amount of trash sent to landfills by 90 percent by the year 2040.
Zero Waste is a philosophy that goes beyond recycling to focus first on reducing trash and reusing products and then recycling and composting the rest. Zero Waste recognizes that one person’s trash is another person’s treasure, and everything is a resource for something or someone else.
Our Vision: To be the national Zero Waste leader in the transformation from traditional integrated waste collection to sustainable resource recovery.
Our Mission: To achieve Zero Waste by providing excellent customer services that promote waste reduction, increase resource recovery and support the City of Austin’s sustainability efforts.
- Creating new content such as blog posts and newsletters to promote reuse-related activities.
- Event planning, volunteer management, and partnership building for CEP events, such as Fix-It Clinics and MoveOutATX.
- Helping maintain public-facing resources, such as the Austin Reuse Directory, Austin’s Circular Economy Map, and Enterprise Resource Guide.
- Tracking performance metrics for CEP initiatives.
- Researching, coordinating and attending community outreach & education events to promote reuse.
- Various administrative tasks to support CEP activities, as needed.
- Other projects to support reuse and zero waste in Austin according to program needs and the intern’s skillset.
- Willingness to learn and take direction from experienced professionals
- Willingness to apply equity lens to all aspects of job responsibilities (equity training will be provided)
- Ability to interface with the public and community stakeholders on behalf of the City of Austin
- Ability to be self-motivated and take initiative
- Ability to work in teams and independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Strong communications skills
- Strong research skills
- Inspired by the mission of Austin Resource Recovery and the City of Austin’s SD23 goals
- Interest in or experience working with sustainability, zero waste, recycling, small business, and social entrepreneurship initiatives
- Experience in conducting research