Parks and Recreation Department Overview:
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
Purpose of Position:
The Inclusion & Adaptive Programs Activity Specialist is a temporary/seasonal staff position scheduled to work between 20 and 40 hours per week in a recreation programs setting specializing in adaptive programming for special needs. The Centralized Programs Inclusion Unit provides assistance to participants with special needs that might be at several varying recreation centers. Successful applicants must demonstrate strong leadership, exhibit creative thinking, exercise good judgment, and have excellent communication skills.
DUTIES, FUNCTIONS, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Have the willingness and ability to work with children and teens, including youth with special needs.
- General supervision to maximum assistance of individuals with disabilities ages 6 to 22 years and adults. Safely facilitate and actively supervise participants at all times while engaging in a variety of activities.
- Developing, scheduling, and conducting program activities for ages 6 to 22 years and adults. Develop, modify and teach program activities to accommodate various ages, abilities and interests.
- Ensuring that all events and activities conform to appropriate safety guidelines and other rules as well as modifying for maximum participation.
- Serve as a role-model, exercising appropriate decision-making boundary setting.
- Completing forms and maintaining records as in accordance with the City of Austin (COA) and with the Parks & Recreation Department (PARD) policies and procedures.
- Ensuring the facilities and equipment being used for programs or events are properly set up and maintained.
- Utilize effective behavior management skills, including enforcing policies fairly, consistently, kindly and firmly.
- Maintaining inventory of supplies, tools, and equipment.
- Work cooperatively with co-counselors and other staff.
- Coaching recreational and sports activities as needed.
- Safely transporting children to and from various locations around Austin, including swimming pools, parks, museums, and other attractions.
- Answering the phone, providing excellent customer service, and assisting with other clerical duties.
- Communicate clearly and professionally with, participants, parents, co-workers and supervisor.
- Following Departmental Policies and Procedures and adhere to safety guidelines.
- Complete reports and forms and assist with maintaining records in accordance with COA and PARD policies.
- Regular attendance is essential for this position.
- Attend regular assigned schedule is essential.
- Attend all sessions of scheduled staff training. Activity Specialist or Instructor
- Other duties as assigned.
For additional information, including how to apply, please view the online job posting at https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/90618.