Rescuing Leftover Cuisine (RLC) is a nonprofit organization committed to fighting food insecurity and preventing wasted food. We have cultivated a network of dedicated food rescuers who bring food directly from our donors to nonprofit organizations, letting neighbors help neighbors while reaping the environmental and economic benefits of reducing wasted food. Founded in 2013, our simple, but elegant model has redistributed over 10 million pounds of food cumulatively, and almost 3 million pounds in 2022 alone.
What you’ll do:
Reporting to the Program Director, the Branch Operations Intern is charged with focusing on the expansion and development of new branches and the growth of existing branches. They will help with recruitment, an outreach of partners, develop training resources, and contribute to an optimal organization that will lead to the success of our branches. The Branch Operations Intern’s essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Research the food rescue landscape and partners in various cities to ensure the success of all food rescues in new and developing branches
- Assist with volunteer recruitment and engagement
- Develop comprehensive resources for training and onboarding partners and volunteers
- Handle day-to-day operations by resolving food rescue issues, implementing processes, and ensuring proper communication between stakeholders
- Explore automation tools, website features, or methods to enhance the capacity of operations
- Assist Branch Managers as needed
- Passion for mission-based work and interest in relevant business functions; prior relevant coursework preferred
- Willingness to take initiative and collaborate with a team or manager
- Ability to work independently and persevere through ambiguity
- Eagerness to provide and receive feedback with an eye toward growth and development
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication
- Comfort representing RLC and engaging professionally with stakeholders
- Ability to perform in a dynamic environment and manage an evolving workload
- Familiarity with relevant computer software (e.g., Google Workspace) preferred
- Commitment to RLC’s core values of integrity, honesty, fairness, openness, respect, and responsibility
- Typing speed of 65 wpm is required
Note: This is a hybrid internship in NYC, New York
RLC interns have the chance to work closely with the executive team and have the opportunity to make a true, meaningful impact in their time with the organization. This is a hybrid part-time, unpaid internship, although interns will be reimbursed for travel if local to an operational RLC branch and actively complete food rescue pickups. Interns are expected to work 20 hours per week, the start date is in June 2023 with an end date in August 2023.
To express your interest, send an email to HR Manager email@example.com with a copy of your resume.
Students should consult with academic faculty to determine if this unpaid experience will earn credit.