November Meeting Recap

Jeff Stellmach started us off with a presentation on Dealing with Difficult People. I’m not sure why we brought him in since I’m like 97.6% positive that we never have to deal with difficult people… Anywho, we started off by separating behaviors from people. It’s often behaviors that are difficult. We should have empathy and respond with “I statements.” I use these all the time, such as when I say, “I think I’ll have some more French fries” and “Why yes, I think I can totally afford this thing even though it’s the end of the month.”

Some of the wonderful Study Abroad rockstars discussed the Latin America Initiative & Study Abroad options. Did you know that in 16-17, there were approximately 3,700 travelers? The top country where people are sent is…Spain! They have a few new initiatives including Gobal Classrooms, a Leadership Program in Costa Rica, and an expansion to Projects with Underserved Communities.

Kudos!

Jeff Kudos to all the Moody Advisors for crushing it during registration!! It was a long, hectic couple of weeks but you all made it through in amazing shape!
Thank you to the Engineering Student Services advisors for seeing the trillion undergraduates (and some accidental/didn’t know where to go/have no clue graduate students) for the Q drop deadline day. I know it was exhausting and you heard some pretty heavy things. You are ALL very appreciated and I know our students feel the same way. Love you!
Shout out to all of the Engineering Student Services advisors for their tireless work during the Q drop deadline. 720+ students walking into our office is no joke and everyone did an amazing job at making each student feel taken care of. You all are fantastic and make ESS a great place to work.
Desiree Alva Big – shout out – to Theresa Thomas who assisted New Student Services with OA Recruitment!  🙂
Molly Gully Thank you to the Vick Center academic advisors and career counselors for going above and beyond this registration season all while staying positive and having fun. You are THE best!
Kudos to the ACA FUNdraising Committee for another awesome service event at the Webb Early College Prep Academy! I really appreciated the opportunity to destress from registration advising and serve up some delicious meals to the families participating in ENCORE.
Lauren Kudos to Megan McKay for handling walk in registration advising like a BOSS.
Patty Moran Micks To our newest member–Kayla Belk–for rocking registration advising! Go FYE!
Othell Ballage, Jr. I am honored to commend the entire Student Division advising team for their work always! And particularly for the dates October 9 – November 10, 2017, when they helped nearly 1650 students. That team consisted of Elyssa Castillo (the marathoner); Beth Labate (who has now advanced to lead the College of Natural Sciences Center for First-year Advising); Marc Pereira (a rising star); Stephanie Quinn (the prodigal daughter returned to make her mark); Rachel Smith (an advising rock star); and Gabe Lopez (The Rock). I want to thank Summer Cacciotti (the quintessential team player) for a special assist on deadline day, as well as the AMS/HDO/PSY advising team for sparing her. Casey Bushman for commitment to our team being ever willing. And last but not least, I want to thank Liz Johnson, for keeping the order, and leading a fine team of student workers. People like you make the advising life easier to breathe.
Thank you, Eric Carter, for being such a wonderful and supportive colleague!