Classes and Registration

Please email us at ut.aikido@gmail.com with any questions.

Registration:

UT students: please register at https://www.utrecsports.org/sport-clubs/members-and-officers and then just show up.
Everyone else: If you are not a student you will need to purchase a recsports membership.  Please see http://www.utrecsports.org/memberships/fees/fees.php for more information on the cost of membership.

Class Times

When UT classes are in session:

• Beginning Class: Tuesday & Thursday 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM.
  • Intermediate Advanced Class: Tuesday & Thursday 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM and Sundays 12:30 PM to 2:00 PM.

When UT classes are NOT in session (Short Hours):

When change our schedule when UT classes are not in session (“short hours”). Classes are held from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM Tuesday & Thursday and 12:30 PM to 2:00 PM Sunday. Announcements regarding class schedules will be made prior to the beginning of short hours.

Location

We meet in BEL 904 (Belmont Hall). Belmont hall is located in the western part of the stadium.

Dues

UT Students: dues are $25.00/semester. Feel free to attend a few classes before paying dues to make sure you like the classes.  Please pay your dues online at https://secure.rs.utexas.edu/store/login/;  log in, scroll down, and click SPORT CLUB TOURNAMENTS AND ONLINE DUES on the lefthand side. Aikido dues is first on the club list.
Everyone Else: See Rec Sports Registration information above.

Uniforms

Uniforms (also called a “Gi”) are recommended but not required. You will avoid minor scrapes and mat burns if you cover your elbows and knees, which the uniforms do nicely. Aikido dojos traditionally use standard, white Judo or Karate-style uniforms. These are available at local sporting goods stores or over the internet. Budovideos.com has good prices and selection, and offers UT Aikido Club members a 10% discount. Use the coupon code UTAIKIDO. You can also use the coupon code for anything else on their website.

40 comments on “Classes and Registration
  1. Jeremy says:

@Kevin: thanks for letting us know. The link has been fixed.

2. Kevin says:

The link to register results in a page not found. Is there a new page somewhere?

3. Jeremy says:

@Adam: yeah, we’re still in Belmont for the remainder of the summer. Only the class times have changed.

4. Adam says:

Hello,

Are you guys in bellmont for the rest of the summer (I saw the new summer schedule on the homepage) or are you moving to the alternate facility?

5. Jeremy says:

@Sarah: yeah, we’re happy to have you whenever you can attend.

6. Sarah says:

Howdy!

I’m waiting to do both the tues/Thurs beginning classes, but on Thursday my last class ends at 7pm. Is it okay to arrive late and catch the last part of the Thursday class?

Thank you!

7. Jeremy says:

@Amy: yes, that’s correct. Staff is welcome to attend provided they have a recsports membership.

8. Amy says:

Hi,
    I’m going to assume, based on your information, that this is available for staff as well as long as they have a recsports membership? When will it start this semester?

9. Jeremy says:

@Nikki: Sure, we’re happy to have you whenever you can come. Hope to see you in class soon.

10. Nikki says:

Hello! I’m interested in atending, but could only make the Thursday class due to a scheduling conflict. Is this okay? Or would I have to come to the Tuesdsy class as well?

11. Jeremy says:

@Phillip: there might be a few things in our practice that’d be a little tough for you – for example we do some ground fighting and shiko (knee walking) – but generally it should be fine. And we’re happy to adapt the practice to whatever you need. If there’s something that doesn’t work for you there’s almost always another way to practice it.

12. Phillip says:

Hi, I was active in martial arts till my late 20s but since have had to stop due to bad knees. I was just wondering if you thought this might be a good fit. Previous experience in Tang-so-do, Judo, and Ninjutsu.
    thanks,

13. Jeremy says:

@Marcus: Yes, we’ll be having classes this summer. We’ll post the schedule soon – please check back in a couple days.

14. Marcus Lyra says:

Hi, I’m here for the summer and I’d like to know if there are classes during this summer.

Thanks !

15. Jeremy says:

@Brittney: never too late to start. Feel free to join whenever.

16. Brittney says:

Is it too late to start going to the beginning classes now in the middle of the semester?

17. Jeremy says:

@Selah: Sure, we’re happy to have you whenever you can make it. Coming only on Tuesdays (or Thursdays) is fine. Hope to see you in beginner’s class.

18. Selah says:

Can I only go to the beginner’s classes on Tues? I can’t go on Thurs…

19. Jeremy says:

@Nich: Beginner’s class will start on September 10th this Fall Semester. You’re welcome to come early, though; there will be instructors available to provide instruction to beginners. No real preparation is necessary; loose clothing is fine (no need for a martial arts uniform), ideally something that covers your knees.

20. Nich says:

Hi All. I’m interested in possibly joining your beginner class this fall. When does the new beginner class start and what should I do to prepare?

21. Jeremy says:

@Joe: Hi Joe, we’d love to have you. We do try to provide a bit of the history and background (in the form of a few minutes of talking in the first class) but generally everything else we do is on-the-mat self defense training. The motto of Seidokan Aikido (our style) is “Sincere, Earnest, Realistic”). Hope to see you in class soon.

22. joe says:

So I would really like to start attending pretty regularly and I was curious how the classes tend to progress. Some of the aikido classes I have tried have turned out to just be a meditation/yoga kinda of experience, which seems like a crime compared to what so many put into this. Is there actual training on the mat and/or a competitive edge to this? Is this another ongoing history lesson or can I expect this to be the full aikido experience? I really hope so.

23. Jeremy says:

@Phyllis: To the best of my knowledge the registration info is still correct, though of course dates could change each semester. Please email us at ut.aikido@gmail.com if you have any questions or come by class and we can answer any questions you might have.

EDIT: Oops – my mistake. Didn’t realize that we didn’t have good info available on summer rates. I’ll get that information and update the website soon.

24. Phyllis says:

Hi, I noticed that the registration section has some old dates. Is it accurate for non-UT members? I am not affiliated with UT, and I was wondering if the system has changed.

25. Jeremy says:

@ Czat: We checked and the folks at the Budovideos.com website are telling us that the coupon should work. Can you give it another shot and let us know if you still have troubles? They also mentioned that you can use the coupon via phone if prefer.

thanks, Jeremy

26. Jeremy says:

@Eddie: Hi Eddie; We haven’t set the start date yet (usually within the first week of classes starting) but as soon as we do I’ll post something here.

thanks,

Jeremy

27. Eddie says:

Hi, I’m a UT student interested in Aikido. I was wondering when are classes going to start for the spring semester?

Thank you,

Eddie

28. Czat says:

I am interested in joining UT Aikido and will be there on Dec 27. However, when I went to budovideos to look at gis I noticed that the coupon code no longer works. Is there a way to reinstate it?

29. Jeremy says:

@Helen: Yes, typical dress for Aikido is a karate or judo gi. Once you’ve advanced a few ranks it is traditional (though again not required) to wear Hakama over top of the gi. For class, though, just come in comfortable loose-fitting clothes; we’ll be happy to answer any questions if you want to learn more.

30. Helen says:

I looked on the gallery, you guys wear one of those karate gi tops and a hakama bottom?

but the info above said karate uniforms? I’m confused… :/

31. Jeremy says:

@Esther: You’re welcome to drop by on the 26th; happy to have you. In general it is best to start at the beginning of the semester because classes do build on each other. But stop by and have a look at the class. Then you can make a decision about whether or not you’d like to join this semester.

32. Esther says:

I’m planning on checking this out next Tuesday (Oct. 26). Is it alright to just show up at any time during the semester? Or would it be better to just wait until next semester to join? In general, how much do the classes build up upon each other?

33. Jeremy says:

@Matt: In general, loose-fitting athletic clothes are fine. Shorts are probably not a good idea since you may scrape your knees. People often where street-clothes for a semester or two; no need to get a gi immediately if you’d prefer to wait.

34. Matt says:

Before we get a gi, what do you suggest we wear to the first session on the 7th?

35. Jeremy says:

@Christian: there is a $25.00/semester fee for students. You’re welcome to attend a few classes before paying dues. And no experience is required at all. We’re happy to have everyone, with or without martial arts experience.

36. Christian says:

Hi, Im really interested in this club and I am a UT student is there a fee I have to pay for the club and also I have no martial arts or fighting experience whatsoever I only have one year of wrestling experience will that be a problem?

37. Jeremy says:

@Heather: We checked and the coupon for Budovideos.com has been reinstated. Sorry for the hassle; see you on the 7th.

38. Heather says:

Hi, I am interested in joining UT Aikido and will be there on Sept 7. However, when I went to budovideos to look at gis I noticed that the coupon code no longer works. Is there a way to reinstate it?

39. Jeremy says:

Yes, 6:30 – 8:00, Tuesday and Thursday. Please feel free to come by and check out the class.

40. Luciano A. Esquivel says:

I am really interested in joining this organization and just wanted to make sure that your classes are held in Bel 904 6:30-8 Tuesday and Thursday. Thank you.