Below is a list of previous trip experiences that our UT-AB students have participated in. Our goal is to build relationships in the communities where we serve so you will see several trips have been repeated.
Year of Partnership: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2022
- New Orleans, LA
- The New Orleans trips take place during Spring Break. Students and staff members traveled to New Orleans to learn through serving by building homes and fences, planting gardens, and learning firsthand the issues facing the New Orleans community. Participants worked with the help of Rebuilding Hope in New Orleans, HandsOn New Orleans, Habitat for Humanity, and a community garden. The group has been housed by the Center for Ethical Living and Social Justice Renewal and Molly’s House which helped to facilitate dialogue around systemic racism and its prevalence not only in the New Orleans community, but nationwide.
Immigration Rights and Policy
Year of Partnership: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- South Texas
- The South Texas trips take place during Spring Break. Twelve student participants and two staff members travele to South Texas to focus on the social issue of immigration. Through a week of service they challenged and expanded their team’s knowledge on immigration as they explored this subject through an open mind and from different perspectives. Participants worked with Proyecto Azteco an organization that works to address the housing crisis in South Texas
Year of Partnership: 2016, 2017
- San Francisco, CA
- The San Francisco trip takes place during Spring Break. Participants and student leaders traveled to focus on the social issues that surround the LGBTQOIA+ community. We partnered with Homeless Youth Alliance with a mission to meet homeless youth and help them build healthier lives.
Community Voices in the Wave of Gentrification
Year of Partnership: 2016
- Austin, TX
- The Austin trip took place during Spring Break. This trip is specifically for first year students to help them become acquainted with the city they will spend the next four years in and making socially aware of the social issues surrounding Austin. The trip focused on exploring minority communities in Austin and highlighting their stories and experiences.
Year of Partnership: 2018
- Houston, TX
- The Houston trip took place during Spring Break. Participants and student leaders traveled to focus on social issues that surrounded the residents of third ward. We partnered with the Emancipation Economic Development Council and Project Row houses to address/learn about the housing and displacement crisis within the city.