Video Tutorial Series
Kristin Wolfe Jensen and Nathan Koch, Producers
Scraping, Refining, and Breaking-in Reeds
- A Psychological Approach to Reed Making (William Short)
- Scraping Guidelines (Rian Craypo)
- A First Day Scrape (Benjamin Kamins)
- Scraping on Day 1: A Practical Example (Rian Craypo)
- Evaluating a Second Day Reed (William Short)
Exploring Reed Analysis With Glenn Einschlag
Constructing Bassoon Reeds with Rian Craypo
- Splitting Tubes
- Pre-gouging and Gouging
- Sorting Cane for Quality
- Forming Mummies
- Internal Bevel
- Forming Reed Blanks
- Miles Maner Sums it All Up!
- Glenn Einschlag’s Bloopers
- Purchase Rian Craypo’s reed making book, The Banana of Life
Benjamin Kamins is Professor of Bassoon at Rice University.
William Short is Principal Bassoon of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and is on faculty at The Juilliard School, The Manhattan School of Music and Temple University.
Rian Craypo is Principal Bassoon of the Houston Symphony.
Glenn Einschlag is Principal Bassoon of the Buffalo Philharmonic and is on the faculty of The Glenn Gould School.
Miles Maner is Bassoonist and Contrabassoonist of the Chicago Symphony.
Kristin Wolfe Jensen is Professor of bassoon at the University of Texas at Austin and Principal Bassoonist with the River Oaks Chamber Orchestra in Houston.
Nathan Koch is Assistant Professor of Bassoon at The University of Nebraska.