Essentials for Developmental Excellence is a highly customizable experience designed to support UT staff in meeting their professional developmental goals. This program is intended for employees seeking to:
- Increase their skills and competencies
- Grow in their current job
- Prepare for the future
The Essentials for Developmental Excellence curriculum includes five content areas. Each area encompasses a variety of competencies on which staff may focus. View a list of the competencies and the definitions [opens in a new window/browser tab; UT EID required]
- Honing your business sense – understanding the business of UT
- Utilizing Technology – mastering the tools that support our work
- Getting things done – organizing the work
- Finding Your Niche & Making the Most of it – claiming your part of the 40 Acres
- Interacting with People – making connections with your peers, bosses, and clients
You will need to complete 15 experiences to complete your certificate: two in each subject area and five in areas of your choice. You have a variety of options to fufill these requirments.
- Attend a class, workshop, or webinar. These can be off-campus
- Read a book or journal, or follow a blog or twitter feed over time
- Work with a mentor, or serve as a mentor to someone else.
- Learn on the job through a developmental experience. This is the best way to master new skills!
After each expereince, reflect on what you did, what you learned, and how you applied it through a short online Activity Survey [external site; opens in new browser window/tab]. This certificate requires the submission of a final developmental worksheet to the CareerSmart coordinator. This worksheet may be requested at any time via e-mail (CareerSmart@austin.utexas.edu).