The STARTALK Teacher Program, “Preparing Teachers for the 21st Century”, aims to enroll sixteen teachers who are currently teaching Russian (6), Korean (2), Persian (2), and Portuguese (2) in the community or who would like to work toward obtaining a P-12 World Language Endorsement in Russian, Persian, and Portuguese correspondingly for teaching these languages in Washington K-12 public schools. The program is designed to teach them STARTALK best practices in language teaching and curriculum development, as well as the content knowledge needed to pass the Washington Educator Skills Test – Endorsement (WEST-E) for World Languages and the pedagogical experience that would prepare them for the Performance-Based Pedagogy Assessment (PPA) for those teachers for whom it is required for state endorsement, and to provide scholarship assistance to complete the required assessments (WEST-E and ACTFL OPI and WPT). This Teacher Program will prepare native (or near native) speakers of Russian, Persian and Portuguese to teach in a standards and content-based program, focused on developing communicative proficiency and accuracy in heritage speakers of Russian, Persian and Portuguese. A special focus on integrating STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) into language instruction will prepare teachers to work effectively with today’s students.
The program includes two and a half intensive weeks of instruction and classroom observations and practicum experience for the Russian teachers working with students in the STARTALK Russian Student program. Russian teachers will have an opportunity to develop lesson plans and practice teaching during the STARTALK Student Program over the summer or in their own community-based language programs. Persian and Portuguese in the UW intensive summer courses or in their own community-based language programs.
- 6 or more teachers who are heritage (or near native) speakers of Russian
- 2 or more teachers who are heritage (or near native) speakers of Korean, Persian and Portuguese
- 13-day Intensive program for teachers, 5 hours a day, including one week of lesson planning and microteaching with the STARTALK Russian Student Program (total of 65 instructional hours)
- 5 credits for EDC&I 495 from the UW College of Education
- Standards and content-based program, focused on developing communicative proficiency and accuracy in heritage speakers of Russian
- Emphasis on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
- Content knowledge to pass the Washington Educator Skills Test – Endorsement (WEST-E) WL
- Pedagogical experience for the Performance-Based Pedagogical Assessment (PPA)
- Scholarship assistance for required assessments (WEST-E and ACTFL OPIc and WPT)
UW Summer Quarter Registration Fee for the Teacher Program: $44
registration information coming in early March
Program Director: Anatoliy Klots
Teacher Program Lead Instructor: Dr. Bridget Yade
Learn more here: http://depts.washington.edu/startalk/russianteacher.php