Prof. Devel.: 2017 Seminars Abroad (Fulbright-Hays)

Deadline for Applications: December 28, 2016

unnamed

Did you know that the U.S. Department of Education provides grants to K-12 and postsecondary educators to study and travel abroad?

The Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad Program provides short-term seminars abroad for U.S. educators in the social sciences and humanities to improve their understanding and knowledge of the peoples and cultures of other countries. Each seminar features educational lectures and activities specifically designed for the group, including visits to local schools and organizations, meetings with teachers and students, and visits to cultural sites. Participants draw on their experiences during the program to create new, cross-cultural curricula for their classrooms and school systems back in the U.S.

In 2017, summer programs will be offered in Bulgaria, Chile, and Thailand. A total of 48 awards are available (sixteen per program). The program covers airfare, room and board, and program costs. Teacher participants are responsible for a cost-share of $600.

unnamed

Here’s what past Seminars Abroad participants have to say about the program:

“Without a doubt the ENTIRE trip was amazing! All of the activities were related to each other and sequenced in a thoughtful way. All activities were meaningful and left a lasting impression.” 

“Thanks to the inspired and collaborative contributions from my fellow participants, I return with an arsenal of lessons that bring a modest slice of the world back home to my students.” 

“My Seminars Abroad experience will allow me to introduce to my students pertinent first-hand information about the world. I plan on doing so through the development of curriculum units that will give my students the opportunity to explore cultural heritage and compare their own culture with other cultures.”

“There have been so many great collaborations to come out of the Seminars Abroad program, and I’m filled with gratitude. The Fulbright-Hays programs have done so much for my research and teaching!”

For more information, click here.