Patricia Witherspoon Research Award
University of Texas graduate students are invited to apply for The Patricia Witherspoon Research Award to offset costs associated with conducting original research in the areas of public service, government, community service, civic life, citizenship, or politics. Previous research topics have included faith-based organizations, family policy, immigration, and educational interventions. Past award winners have used the funding to pay for focus groups, survey instruments, and other aspects of their research.
Amount of the stipend: $2,000
- Original research must be conducted in public service, government, civic life, citizenship, or politics.
- Preference will be given to students working on master’s theses or doctoral dissertations.
- All research must be overseen by a faculty member.
- The research must be conducted for a course taken for credit.
- Expectations by the Institute: The recipient will be expected to write a summary of their research for publication for the Institute. Please contact Chuck Courtney, Assistant Director for Administration at 471-7208 with questions.
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Contact information including name, address, email, and telephone number.
- Major field of study and current overall GPA.
- Two page research prospectus including research question, brief summary of the literature, methodology, expected results and anticipated start and end dates.
- Applicants may also be asked to participate in a face-to-face interview.
Award recipients may be asked to give a short presentation of their work to the Annette Strauss Institute for Civic Life’s Advisory Council during fall 2015.
The deadline for the application will be Monday, May 4, 2015.