CATTt – Analogy

Analogy: Method becomes invention when it relies on analogy and chance

• I was thinking of this for long time and I think I found something related to it. My initial criterion was to search for a piece of tech that is cheap and can change your perspective of seeing. It is quite related to microscope project because when you put a small object within its view port, it changes the way you observe anything. You can use it in your own ways to explore different things. I also discussed it in last class and it was helpful for framing a criteria.
  • The piece of tech that I selected for this is ‘Google Cardboard’. It was the first of its kind and promotes virtual reality (VR). The platform is intended as a low cost system to encourage interest and development in VR application. Users can either build their own viewer from simple, low-cost components using specifications published by Google, or purchase a pre-manufactured one. The viewer is used by placing a smartphone into the back of it and viewing through the lenses in the front.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 8.52.01 AM

• It does promote the idea of exploring something with some low-cost infrastructure. The design is open source so anyone can build this around the world.
  • But as something low-cost tech is invented there are always some players who want to target the rich audience. These players convert the great ideas into well-defined design with super ergonomics and sell it 10/20 higher than the initial cost.

“An invention is not that looks great but something that works great” 

• Now the question is do we really need it?
  • Is ‘targeting rich class’ mentality helping others to invent?

1 thought on “CATTt – Analogy