Meet the Team

Current Lab Members

Jennifer Donegan, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator

Donegan is an assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Dell Medical School. She holds a courtesy appointment in the Department of Neuroscience at The University of Texas at Austin and is a member of the Institute for Early Life Adversity Research.

Donegan graduated magna cum laude from Texas Christian University with a B.S. in psychology. She obtained her Ph.D. in neuroscience from The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Prior to joining Dell Med, she completed a postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of Pharmacology at the UT Health Science Center at San Antonio. Donegan has received numerous awards for her work, including a Travel Award from the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology and a BRAIN Initiative Pathway to Independence Award.

Jade Wollenberg, Lab Manager

Jade graduated in 2022 with a Bachelor of Science in Public Health from the University of Texas at Austin. Her main academic interests lie in the neural circuitry of psychiatric disorders. In her free time she enjoys reading, coaching kids soccer, and trying out new coffee shops in Austin.

Jamie Palmer, Graduate Student

Jamie is a graduate student in the Institute of Neuroscience. She received her B.S. in Biology from Saint Joseph’s University in 2017 and her M.S. in Neuroscience from Temple University in 2020. Her main interests lie in the effects of early life perturbations and the impacts of these stressors on development and later-life behavior. When she’s not in the lab, Jamie enjoys cooking, doing CrossFit, and playing video games on her Nintendo Switch.

Daniel San Miguel, Graduate Student

Daniel is a graduate student in the Pharmacology & Toxicology division of the Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD program. He received his B.S in Biochemistry and B.A in Psychology from Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi in 2022. His primary research interests include studying the neural circuit dysfunctions in addiction, stress, and psychiatric disorders. Outside of the lab, he enjoys going to concerts, watching movies, and playing piano.

Megan Hall, Graduate Student

Megan is a graduate student in the Institute of Neuroscience. She received her B.S. in Neuroscience from Colorado State University in 2023. Her main interests lie in molecular and cellular underpinnings behind neuropsychiatric disorders. Outside of lab , she enjoys hiking, concerts, swimming, and exploring ice cream joints.

Kripa Philip, Undergraduate Research Assistant

My name is Kripa Philip and I am a freshman neuroscience major in the Polymathic Scholars Program. I am committed to continuing my journey in research and academia through experiences at UT Austin’s Freshman Research Initiative and other advanced courses. I am eager to further explore AUDs and schizophrenia and contribute meaningfully to the advancement of knowledge in this field. Beyond my research endeavors, I am actively involved in MHISA, Project Sunshine, UTIOCM, and OneWay. In my free time, I enjoy visiting coffee shops, listening to music, and hanging out with friends. My future career goals ideally embody a passion for neurological research.

Lorenzo Simental, Undergraduate Research Assistant

I am a fourth-year Neuroscience student at the University of Texas at Austin. After I graduate, I plan on attending medical school to further my education in neuropsychiatry and other related fields. In my free time, I enjoy running, visiting Barton Springs, Latin dancing, and spending time with my friends and family.

Sifallah Bouyadjera, Undergraduate Research Assistant

I am a second-year Neuroscience and Chemistry major at the University of Texas at Austin, with a minor in Middle Eastern Studies. I am a part of the Dean’s Scholars Program where I hope to write my honors thesis about the intersection between mitochondrial stress and neural circuit dysfunctions. In my free time, you can find me gaming at the Longhorn Esports Lounge, binging Suits, and pretending to be good at pickle ball.

Sivani Balaji, Undergraduate Research Assistant

Hello! I am a third-year undergraduate student majoring in Biology with a minor in Entrepreneurship. I am particularly interested in pursuing research on novel drugs that can help alleviate symptoms of psychiatric disease and hope to contribute in the broader field of mental health. In my free time, I love going on nature walks and exploring the world with my adorable puppy, Milo.

Emily Ji, Undergraduate Research Assistant

Hey! My name is Emily Ji, and I’m a sophomore biology major in the Dean’s Scholars program. As a pre-med student, I am currently involved in the Freshman Research Initiative on campus, and I hope to pursue an MD/ PhD degree. My main interests lie in gene therapy, the molecular underpinnings of neurological disorders and disease, and genetics, so I am eager to explore these topics as I journey through UT Austin and beyond. Outside of the lab, I love hanging out with friends, hiking, and exploring coffee shops around Austin.

Past Lab Members

Jonathan Artz, Psychiatry Resident

Lauren Rosta, Undergraduate Research Assistant

Savannah Boyen, Research Associate

Morgan Ouren, Undergraduate Research Assistant

Alyssa Marron, Lab Manager

Alex Sanchez, Research Associate

Nora Li, Undergraduate Research Assistant