Burdine Chronicles – August 2018

Dear Alumni and Friends,

I hope you will join me at the Texas Reception at this year’s meeting of the American Political Science Association. The reception is Friday, Aug. 31, at 7:30 pm. We’ll be in Back Bay B in the Sheraton Boston Hotel, and drinks are on me! We will be celebrating awards, and plenty of them.

Perhaps most notably, Jeff Tulis is being presented with the 2018 Legacy Award from APSA’s Executive Politics Organized Section for The Rhetorical Presidency. The award has been given three times previously, to William Howell (Chicago), Samuel Kernell (UC-San Diego), and Stephen Skowronek (Yale), and recognizes a “living author for a book, essay, or article, published at least 10 years prior to the award year that has made a continuing contribution to the intellectual development of the fields of presidency and executive politics.”

This is a huge recognition – I do not hesitate to say that no member of our faculty has written a more influential book than Jeff’s Rhetorical Presidency. I am of course likewise thrilled to draw attention again to Jeff’s new book, co-authored with alumna Nicole Mellow, Legacies of Losing in American Politics. Tulis will participate in an Author Meets Critics Panel on the book Thursday, Aug. 30, 2-3:30pm. One final note on Tulis – he has been invited to be one of four Commentators at this year’s prestigious Tanner Lecture at Princeton University. It is an honor bestowed on persons of the highest scholarly reputation, and it is now the second time Jeff has been invited.

In other exciting faculty news, I am thrilled to announce that Alison Craig is receiving the Carl Albert prize for the best dissertation in legislative studies from APSA’s Legislative Studies Section.

On the teaching front, HW Perry has received two of the university’s most coveted teaching awards – the Friar Centennial Teaching Award (click here for link to video of the traditional class ceremony), as well as induction into the Academy of Distinguished Teachers. And Xiaobo Lü received the College of Liberal Arts Josefina Paredes Endowed Teaching Award.

As awesome as it is to announce these awards, I am perhaps more excited to report on the success of our young alumni and graduate students. And so, it is with great pleasure that I let you know alumna Calla Hummel has won two major paper awards. Hummel’s paper, “Disobedient Markets: Street Vendors, Enforcement, and State Intervention in Collective Action,” has been named both the Alexander George best article by the American Political Science Association’s Qualitative and Multi-Method Research Section, as well as winner of the Comparative Political Studies Editorial Board’s Best Paper Award.

Regarding placement, our newly minted Ph.D.s, are settling in at tenure track jobs (Kentucky, Clemson, Davidson College, and San Francisco State), non-tenure track appointments (Toronto, Texas A&M, St. Edward’s University, and College of Charleston), and post-docs (Harvard, Princeton, Duke, Emory, Penn, Carnegie Mellon, UT-Austin, Missouri, and the Max Planck Institute). Congratulations to all of you!  Here is a list of all recent UT placements.

Finally, on the graduate student front, I would like to draw your attention to two recent articles by Christina Bambrick, one published in Publius and the other forthcoming in Polity.

Perhaps the heat is getting to me, but that is all I have for you now! Yet, you can read more about our alumni (here and here), graduate students, faculty (here and here or here and here), and recent PhDs. And, here’s a list of papers Longhorns are delivering at this year’s conference.

In conclusion, I do want to give a shout out to Neal Allen, who was quoted in Rolling Stone. I would be happy to be told I am wrong, but Neal is the first political scientist I know to make it into a Rock and Roll magazine.

Sincerely,

Robert G. Moser
Professor and Chair