• Recent Presentations
- Leslie Sirrianni presented “Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Adapted for COVID-19 Vaccine Conversations” as part of the NASW national webinar, “COVID-19 Vaccination Through a Social Work Lens: Motivational Interviewing and SBIRT.” (1/2022)
- Dr. Velasquez presented a review of the use of motivational interviewing strategies to manage unhealthy alcohol use in primary care. The audience consisted of Practice Facilitators, representing over 300 primary care settings. The meeting was funded through a grant from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality to NORC at the University of Chicago. (10/2021)
- Dr. Velasquez delivered a training for several new Champions in the Health Social Work department at Dell Medical School, as well as social workers and physicians at People’s Community Clinic. (10/2021)
- Dr. Velasquez conducted a virtual training on motivational interviewing for services staff at Foundation Communities, a nonprofit providing affordable housing and support services to families in Austin and North Texas. (9/2021)
- Dr. Velasquez presented a seminar on SBIRT for Women’s Health Professionals at the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine, through Project ECHO. The goal of the seminar was to provide community health professionals with the training and support they need to manage substance use issues within women’s health settings using an SBIRT model. (8/2021)
- Dr. Velasquez and Leslie Sirrianni trained University Health Services providers throughout the UT System in Motivational Interviewing and delivering substance use interventions to students. (8/2021)
• Recent publications
Hernandez, M., von Sternberg, K., Castro, Y., & Velasquez, M. M. (2021). Reasons and obstacles for changing risky drinking behavior among Latinas at risk of an alcohol-exposed pregnancy. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse, 1-15.
Villarreal, Y.R., Spellman, M.L., Prudon, J., Northrup, T.F., Berens, P.D., Blackwell, S., Velasquez, M.M., Stotts, A. L. (2021). A brief, hospital-initiated Motivational Interviewing and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy intervention to link postpartum mothers who use illicit drugs with treatment and reproductive care: A case report. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 28(1), 92-106.
Sirrianni, L. (2020, December/2021, January). Conversations About Alcohol Use Help Social Workers Assess, Reduce Clients’ Risky Drinking. Social Work Advocates. 8-9.
Hammock, K., Velasquez, M. M., Alwan, H., & von Sternberg, K. (2020). Alcohol Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) for Girls and Women. Alcohol Research: Current Reviews.
Villarreal, Y.R., Spellman, M.L., Prudon, J., Northrup, T.F., Berens, P.D., Blackwell, S., Velasquez, M.M., Stotts, A. L. (In Press). A brief, hospital-initiated Motivational Interviewing and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy intervention to link postpartum mothers who use illicit drugs with treatment and reproductive care: A case report. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice.
Field, C.A., von Sternberg, K., Velasquez, M.M. (2020). Randomized Trial of Screening and Brief Intervention to Reduce Injury and Substance Abuse in an urban Level I Trauma Center. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 208(1), 1-8. doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2019.107792
Stotts, A.L., Northrup, T.F., Green, C., Suchting, R., Hovell, M.E., Khan, A., Villarreal, Y.R., Schmitz, J.M., Velasquez, M.M., Hammond, K., Hoh, E., & Tyson, J. (2020). Reducing Tobacco Smoke Exposure in High Risk Infants: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Pediatrics, 218:35-41.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds. 2019.10.070
Hai Hang, A., Hammock, K., & Velasquez, M. (2020). The efficacy of technology‐based interventions for alcohol and illicit drug use among women of childbearing age: A systematic review and meta‐analysis. Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research. doi:10.1111/acer.14203
Hernandez, M., von Sternberg, K.L., Castro, Y. & Velasquez, M.M. (2019). The Role of Acculturation and Alcohol Problems on Frequency of Cannabis Use Among Latinas at Risk of an Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancy, Substance Use & Misuse, 54:12, 1980-1990, DOI: 10.1080/10826084.2019.1625399
von Sternberg, K., DiClemente, C.C., & Velasquez, M.M. (2019). Profiles of behavior change constructs for reducing alcohol use in women at risk of an alcohol-exposed pregnancy. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
Peng, H., Aschenbrenner, A., von Sternberg, K., Mullen, P. and Chan, W. (2019) “A Continuous-time Markov Chain Approach with the Analytic Likelihood in Studies of Behavioral Changes” Communications in Statistics – Theory and Methods. 48:5756-5765.
• Dr. Mary Velasquez presented “CHOICES4Health: A Tablet-Based Intervention to Prevent Alcohol-, Tobacco and Marijuana Exposed Pregnancies,” at the 7th annual WCAAR Advance Conference at the Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research. (3/2019)
• Dr. Mary Velasquez co-presented (with J. Hanson and K. Ingersoll) “Using Technology in Novel Approaches to Prevent Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancies,” at the 8th International Conference on FASD, Vancouver, BC, Canada. (3/2019)
• New CDC grant award: “Reaching Health Professionals to Prevent FASDs” (NU84 DD000009, PI: Velasquez). HBRT is partnering with the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) to promote the use of primary prevention in healthcare practice to prevent alcohol-exposed pregnancy and reduce the prevalence of FASDs.
• New publication: Johnson, S.K., von Sternberg, K., & Velasquez, M.M. (2018). Changing multiple health risk behaviors in CHOICES. Preventive Medicine Report, 11:69-73. doi: 10.1016/j.pmedr.2018.05.006. eCollection 2018 Sep
• New publication: Parrish, D.E., von Sternberg, K., Benjamins, L.J., Duron, J., & Velasquez, M.M. (2018). CHOICES-TEEN: Reducing substance-exposed pregnancy and HIV among juvenile justice adolescent females. Research on Social Work Practice, 1-10. doi.org/10.1177/1049731518779717
• New publication: [Velasquez, M.M., expert panel contributor]. Implementing Care for Alcohol and Other Drug Use in Medical Settings: An Extension of SBIRT : SBIRT Change Guide 1.0 Feb. 2018. Washington, DC: National Council for Behavioral Health. (2/2018)
• Dr. Mary M. Velasquez is appointed to the Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research executive committee (1/2018)