• Dr. Mary Velasquez presented “Preventing Substance-Exposed Pregnancies: Two Decades of Research & Evidence-Based Interventions for Community Settings,” for Dell Medical School’s Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds. (5/2020)
• New publications:
Hammock, K., Velasquez, M. M., Alwan, A., & von Sternberg, K. (in press). Alcohol Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) for Girls and Women. Alcohol Research: Current Reviews.
Villarreal, Y.R., Spellman, M.L., Prudon, J., Northrup, T.F., Berens, P.D., Blackwell, S., Velasquez, M.M., Stotts, A. L. (In Press). A brief, hospital-initiated Motivational Interviewing and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy intervention to link postpartum mothers who use illicit drugs with treatment and reproductive care: A case report. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice.
Field, C.A., von Sternberg, K., Velasquez, M.M. (2020). Randomized Trial of Screening and Brief Intervention to Reduce Injury and Substance Abuse in an urban Level I Trauma Center. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 208(1), 1-8. doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2019.107792
Stotts, A.L., Northrup, T.F., Green, C., Suchting, R., Hovell, M.E., Khan, A., Villarreal, Y.R., Schmitz, J.M., Velasquez, M.M., Hammond, K., Hoh, E., & Tyson, J. (2020). Reducing Tobacco Smoke Exposure in High Risk Infants: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Pediatrics, 218:35-41.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds. 2019.10.070
Hai Hang, A., Hammock, K., & Velasquez, M. (2020). The efficacy of technology‐based interventions for alcohol and illicit drug use among women of childbearing age: A systematic review and meta‐analysis. Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research. doi:10.1111/acer.14203
Hernandez, M., von Sternberg, K.L., Castro, Y. & Velasquez, M.M. (2019). The Role of Acculturation and Alcohol Problems on Frequency of Cannabis Use Among Latinas at Risk of an Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancy, Substance Use & Misuse, 54:12, 1980-1990, DOI: 10.1080/10826084.2019.1625399
von Sternberg, K., DiClemente, C.C., & Velasquez, M.M. (2019). Profiles of behavior change constructs for reducing alcohol use in women at risk of an alcohol-exposed pregnancy. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
Peng, H., Aschenbrenner, A., von Sternberg, K., Mullen, P. and Chan, W. (2019) “A Continuous-time Markov Chain Approach with the Analytic Likelihood in Studies of Behavioral Changes” Communications in Statistics – Theory and Methods. 48:5756-5765.
• Dr. Mary Velasquez presented “CHOICES4Health: A Tablet-Based Intervention to Prevent Alcohol-, Tobacco and Marijuana Exposed Pregnancies,” at the 7th annual WCAAR Advance Conference at the Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research. (3/2019)
• Dr. Mary Velasquez co-presented (with J. Hanson and K. Ingersoll) “Using Technology in Novel Approaches to Prevent Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancies,” at the 8th International Conference on FASD, Vancouver, BC, Canada. (3/2019)
• New CDC grant award: “Reaching Health Professionals to Prevent FASDs” (NU84 DD000009, PI: Velasquez). HBRT is partnering with the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) to promote the use of primary prevention in healthcare practice to prevent alcohol-exposed pregnancy and reduce the prevalence of FASDs.
• New publication: Johnson, S.K., von Sternberg, K., & Velasquez, M.M. (2018). Changing multiple health risk behaviors in CHOICES. Preventive Medicine Report, 11:69-73. doi: 10.1016/j.pmedr.2018.05.006. eCollection 2018 Sep
• New publication: Parrish, D.E., von Sternberg, K., Benjamins, L.J., Duron, J., & Velasquez, M.M. (2018). CHOICES-TEEN: Reducing substance-exposed pregnancy and HIV among juvenile justice adolescent females. Research on Social Work Practice, 1-10. doi.org/10.1177/1049731518779717
• New publication: [Velasquez, M.M., expert panel contributor]. Implementing Care for Alcohol and Other Drug Use in Medical Settings: An Extension of SBIRT : SBIRT Change Guide 1.0 Feb. 2018. Washington, DC: National Council for Behavioral Health. (2/2018)
• Dr. Mary M. Velasquez is appointed to the Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research executive committee (1/2018)