We are delighted that you are visiting our website and are exploring the Hispanic Faculty/Staff Association (HFSA) at The University of Texas at Austin! We invite you to join our organization, which is made up of a group of faculty and staff who celebrate our heritage and have a desire to be an integral part of our university. We are so proud how the University and we as HFSA work together to help all of our communities, as we honor our theme this year: We are better together advancing equity.
HFSA has a long and distinguished history as a group of individuals who care about and work for one another and the University community. For thirty years (since 1991), HFSA has strived to work in a united fashion to advance our goals:
- Create a welcoming environment for all members of the university community;
- Improve the university’s work environment;
- Involve members in leadership roles and activities across the university; and
- Promote and advocate for a better understanding and appreciation of various Latina/o cultures.
Our Executive Board and Committee Chairs greatly appreciate our HFSA members who make our organization special through their commitment to our mission for promoting and respecting the Hispanic cultures through advocacy, education, and service. HFSA’s values are deeply woven in our committees and invite you to join us to experience these opportunities:
- Fellowship and Networking opportunities: providing a venue for the exchange of cultural values and ideas and social interaction in like-minded service community.
- General Assembly meetings are held once a month
- Fiesta Committee
- Welcome Committee
- Member Development: providing opportunities for the educational, professional, and leadership growth of its members.
- Leadership and Professional Dev. Committee
- Book and Culture Committee
- Elections Committee
- Communication: providing an opportunity for improved communication among the membership, as well as community stakeholders and cultural constituents.
- Executive Board Committee
- Service: providing opportunities for members to serve within the organization, the university, and within the local community.
- John Treviño Jr. Holiday Assistance Committee
HFSA takes pride in our signature events of service: John Treviño Jr. Holiday Assistance Program for many UT families going through tough times, and our annual Fiesta event that raises funds for our scholarship program (Hispanic Faculty/Staff Association – Jamail/Long Challenge Grant Scholarship) for University students. These are great opportunities to contribute to the welfare of our members and the University community as a whole.
In addition, we sponsor a number of programs and activities to create networking, professional development, and leadership development opportunities for our members and others in the university community because we recognize the value of personal and professional growth.
We invite you to join HFSA us in celebrating our culture, language, education by giving voice to the concerns of the Hispanic community on campus, and contributing to creating a warm and welcoming environment at The University of Texas at Austin! Please go to our website to apply for membership.
We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming HFSA meeting, as We are Better Together Advancing Equity!
2021-2022 HFSA Co-Chairs
Dr. Debra Cantú and Reyna Flores