Another cornerstone of the INFEWS Scholar program is public service. Trainees will spend at least 8 hours during a semester volunteering for a local program or nonprofit organization with a connection to agriculture or food security.
- Volunteering creates future community leaders.
- Volunteering benefits society.
- Volunteering addresses the university’s core purpose to “transform lives for the benefit of society.”
Previous civic engagement efforts include working with the following organizations:
- Urban Roots Farm
- UT Outpost – Food Pantry and Career Closet
- UT Office of Sustainability
- 4-H CAPITAL
- City of Austin Office of Sustainability