Florence and the David–Michelle, June 2013

Marianna and Michelle in Florence

On a free Saturday, Marianna and I decided to take a day trip to Florence to see Michelangelo’s David and do some shopping for leather goods. We woke up and hopped on the train for the short hour and a half train to Florence. When we arrived we leisurely found our way to the Academia. When we walked up the entrance, we soon realized that there was a substantially long line of people waiting to enter. As we took our place in the back of the line we were warned by another person that the wait would be about two hours. In disbelief, we decided to wait it out, after all, we visited Florence primarily to see the David.  As the wait drew on, we met another student in line who was from Australia, named Leo.  The time passed quickly as we chatted with Leo about the differences between life in the United States and Australia as well as numerous stories from our travels in Italy.  The wait, in fact, actually did take two hours and finally we reached the entrance to the Academia. After browsing the various rooms of artwork. We came to the David statue. Needless to say, the experience was well worth the wait.  Michelangelo’s masterpiece was stunning. Marianna, Leo and I stood in awe of the sheer size and excellent sculpting of the David. Leo even attempted to slyly take a picture of the David but before he knew it, an angry guard was screeching “NO FOTO.” We circled the statue several times in order to view the statue from every angle. We remarked on the impressive modeling of the veins on the arms and hands of the figure.  Once we finished admiring the David, we decided to go for lunch to “ZaZa” near the Mercado Centrale. Our lunch was lovely and afterwards we picked up some leather purses and wallets in the market before catching the train back to Castiglion Fiorentino. On the whole, our Saturday trip to Florence was a successful and memorable adventure.

78 thoughts on “Florence and the David–Michelle, June 2013

1. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are incredible! Thanks!

2. What i do not understood is in reality how you’re not really much more well-appreciated than you might be now. You’re very intelligent. You recognize therefore considerably with regards to this topic, produced me for my part consider it from so many various angles. Its like men and women aren’t fascinated unless it’s one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs great. Always care for it up!|

3. Good day! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!|

4. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I’m quite certain I’ll learn plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!|