All of these courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better. Pass/fail coursework will NOT be accepted.
Advanced placement (AP) credit is accepted if test scores meet the The University of Texas at Austin criteria for acceptance. The awarding of course credit based on advanced placement is governed by the individual scores you received. Please refer to the Testing Center site to determine if the score you earned meets UT-Austin’s expectations..
Please refer to our Course Equivalencies page for specific course numbers at other Texas institutions.
Course numbers that appear in the brackets [ ] below are specific to UT Austin courses.
six semester credit hours as required FOR SCIENCE MAJORS (no labs required):
- three semester credit hours of cellular and molecular general biology
- [BIO 311C OR for Natural Sciences Dean Scholars BIO 315H]
- three semester credit hours of structure and function of organisms general biology
- [BIO 311D OR for Natural Sciences Deans Scholars BIO 325H]
three semester credit hours of a full semester genetics course as required FOR SCIENCE MAJORS (no lab required):
- [BIO 325 or 325H]
sixteen semester credit hours as required FOR SCIENCE MAJORS:
- eight semester credit hours of general (inorganic) chemistry with labs
- [CH 301, 302, and 204]
- eight semester credit hours of organic chemistry with labs
- [CH 320M, 320N, and 220C]
four semester credit hours of microbiology with lab as required FOR SCIENCE MAJORS following a pre-health professional direction (pre-pharm, pre-med, and pre-dent):
- Microbiology must have one year of general biology and at least one semester of general chemistry as prerequisites to meet this requirement
- [(BIO 326R or 326M) and 226L]
three semester credit hours of English composition
- [RHE 306]
three semester credit hours of sophomore level survey of literature: American, British or World literature
- [E 316K, 316L, 316M, 316N, or 316P]
- NOTE: Composition II or technical writing will NOT fulfill the literature requirement.
three semester credit hours of calculus I
- [M408N, 408K or 408C]
- Calculus for business majors is NOT acceptable.
three semester credit hours of statistics from a wide variety of fields (mathematics, psychology, and sociology) is acceptable.
- [SDS 302 or M 316]
four semester credit hours of physics with lab as required FOR SCIENCE MAJORS.
- Non calculus or calculus-based physics is acceptable.
- [PHY 302K and PHY 120M]
Foreign Language (Not English)
The foreign language requirement is a university CORE requirement that must be fulfilled prior to matriculation into the Pharm.D. program.
This requirement may be satisfied by one of the following options:
- completing two years of a single foreign language in a U.S. high school
- completing two semesters of a single foreign language in a U.S. university or college
- taking a language proficiency exam and demonstrating exam level proficiency at or above the ACTFL Novice High level
The University of Texas at Austin Texas Language Center provides proficiency exams for languages not regularly taught at UT Austin. Non-native English speakers may take a language proficiency exam in their native language to demonstrate proficiency in that language.
The College of Pharmacy will request proof of completion of this requirement to only those applicants that are offered admission into our Pharm.D. program. An official transcript or official results from the Texas Language Center will be required for submission to assess successful fulfillment of this requirement.
- Admitted students who matriculate into the Pharm.D. program with a prior baccalaureate degree will have the foreign language requirement WAIVED.
- Applicants who started their college education prior to the summer of 1985 are exempt from this requirement.
Please make sure you read over the university course requirements (core and global cultures flag course) that every student who graduates from UT Austin, including Pharm.D. students, must satisfy.
- Admitted students who matriculate into the Pharm.D. program with a prior baccalaureate degree will have the Core and Flag requirements WAIVED.